James Madison University
Libraries & Educational Technologies
Garber, Marianne L. Collection. SC #3066.
CARRIER LIBRARY, JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY
HARRISONBURG, VA 22807
Scope & Content.
This collection consists of 19 items from 1780 to 1899, the majority of which are land deeds and miscellaneous legal and business documents for Rockingham and Shenandoah Counties, VA. Also included in the collection is a farm journal with one-line entries describing agricultural activities almost daily for most of the time period from August, 1847 to May, 1861. According to the donor, the journal was written by William Mathias Harner of McGaheysville, VA, born Nov. 24, 1823 and married Jan. 1852.
Provenance. This collection was donated to the Library in January, 1995 by Marianne L. Garber of Timberville, VA.
Folder 1 Farm journal, Wm. M. Harner, 1847-1861.
Folder 2 Legal & Business Documents:
- 1815 Debt obligation of Philip and George Pence
- 1854 Deposition on behalf of Samuel and Rebecca Fry
- 1865 July 1 Letter from Major C. Shirley to "Dear Friend" (probably a contemporary copy)
- 1877 Purchase list, Fred Offman to Coffman Zirkle, New Market
- 1887 Purchase list, Daniel Shirley in acc't with L.P. Henkel & Co.
- 1897 Debt obligation of John Linhoss to Charles K. Urner[?] for land
- 1899 Debt release of John Linhoss by W.P. Crickenberger
- Undated Land resurvey for David Homan
OVERSIZE BOX 1:
Folder 1 Land Deeds and Indentures:
- 1780 Richard Campfield, "A Copy from Record"
- 1787 John Petner [Pitner], signed Beverley Randolph
- 1793 Henry Mave [Nave], signed by Henry Lee
- 1794 John & Barbara Pitner to John Nave
- 1796 Adam & Liza Pitner to John Levich
- 1801 Michael & Rachel Humble & others to John Livy
- 1824 John Homan & others to David Homan
- 1847 Gideon & Regina Pentz to Jonas Pentz
- 1854 Samuel & Rebecca Fry to Lewis Will
- 1887 Daniel Shirley to Joseph Roller
James Madison University Libraries & Educational Technologies