JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY (JMU) LIBRARIES
GIFTS INFORMATION FOR DONORS
Thank you for your interest in donating to JMU Libraries and Educational Technologies. As a means of enriching the library collections, the James Madison University Libraries accepts gifts that add to value and depth to the libraries’ collections and support the instructional and research programs of JMU. Gifts of money, books and other research materials can be used to develop the libraries’ collections. For larger monetary gifts or “gifts in kind” of significant monetary value, contact the JMU Development Office, (800) 296-6162. For questions concerning gifts of books and research materials, please contact the Director of Collections, 540-568-3366; if you are affiliated with a department at James Madison University, please contact your library liaison.
Those interested in donating books and research materials are asked to provide a list of those materials. Please use the library spreadsheet to list those titles, available at on the webpage “Gifts Information For Donors.” The library will provide a written acknowledgment receipt of gifts totaling more than 50 books, by request. Donors interested in an appraisal of gift items are advised that this is the responsibility of the donor, and that appraisals should be made before gifts are transferred to JMU Libraries to establish their fair market value. The library does not provide estimates of cost or value for gifts.
Gifts will be evaluated for appropriateness for our collections based on the Library’s Collection Development Policy. The library retains the right to determine their retention, use, and location.
Here are some further considerations for donating books and other materials:
- Physical Condition: To safeguard existing library collections, library personnel will evaluate gifts for their physical condition.
- Duplication: JMU Libraries, in most circumstances, will acquire only one copy of a title, the majority of duplications will not be accepted, or will be deaccessioned upon receipt. Non-circulating titles will be added to the collection in the location where they best serve the needs of the JMU community.
- Magazines and journals: The library does not generally accept gifts of magazines, journals or other periodicals (except journals of historical value which may be accepted by the Special Collections Librarian at 540-568-3612.) Please direct questions regarding this policy to the Director of Cataloging and Acquisitions at 540-568-3543.
- Textbooks: JMU Libraries will not accept donations of textbooks. Better World Books is an excellent option if you have textbooks you would like to donate.
- Large donations: Please contact the Director of Collections to discuss pre-arrangements for large gifts.
- Shipping / Transporting items: As a donor, you are responsible for the shipping or transporting of gifts.
- Special Collections: JMU Special Collections acquires materials that document the Central Shenandoah Valley, the history of James Madison University, as well as other unique materials that support the curriculum of the University. For more information about donating rare/valuable material, please contact the Special Collections Librarian at 540-568-3612.
- Alternate places to donate: For more popular titles, ex-library copies, textbooks, or trade paperbacks Better World Books is an excellent option (email@example.com). They will pay for shipping and handling and all donations support global literacy initiatives. Another excellent donation option is the Massanutten Regional Library, (540) 434-4475
Download the JMU Libraries Donation Form (MS Word)
Thank you for your interest in JMU Libraries.