JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY (JMU) LIBRARIES
GIFTS INFORMATION FOR DONORS
As a means of enriching the library collections, the James Madison University libraries welcome gifts that add to value and depth to the libraries’ collections and support the instructional and research programs of JMU. Gifts of money, books and other research materials can be used to develop the libraries’ collections. Small gifts are appreciated, as well as larger contributions, endowments, and bequests. For larger monetary gifts or “gifts in kind” of significant monetary value, contact the JMU Development Office. For questions concerning gifts of books and research materials, please contact the Collection Management Librarian, 540-568-3366; if you are affiliated with a department at James Madison University, please contact your library liaison.
Those interested in donating books and research materials are asked to provide a list of those materials. The library will provide a written acknowledgment receipt of all gifts. Donors interested in an appraisal of gift items are advised that this is the responsibility of the donor, and that appraisals should be made before gifts are transferred to JMU Libraries to establish their fair market value. The library does not provide estimates of cost or value for gifts. For a list of rare book appraisers, see the Library’s Special Collections web page.
Gifts will be evaluated for appropriateness for our collections based on the Library’s Collection Development Policy. The library retains the right to determine their retention, use, and location.
Here are some further considerations for donating books and other materials:
- Physical Condition: To safeguard existing library collections, library personnel will evaluate gifts for their physical condition.
- Magazines and journals: The library does not generally accept gifts of magazines, journals or other periodicals (except journals of historical value which may be accepted by the Special Collections Librarian at 540-568-3612.) Please direct questions regarding this policy to the Head of Acquisitions at 540-568-3543.
- Large donations: Please contact the Collection Management Librarian to discuss pre-arrangements for large gifts.
- Shipping / Transporting items: As a donor, you are responsible for the shipping or transporting of gifts.
- Special Collections: JMU Special Collections acquires materials that document the Central Shenandoah Valley, the history of James Madison University, as well as other unique materials that support the curriculum of the University. Please consult the collection development policy for JMU Special Collections before contacting the Librarian. For more information about donating rare/valuable material, please contact the Special Collections Librarian at 540-568-3612.
Thank you for your interest in JMU Libraries.