Directions: Follow arrow through module and complete exercises.
- Define the terms: database, record, and field.
- Describe the function of two types of research databases: library catalogs and article databases.
- Select an appropriate research database for a topic.
- Compare and contrast subject searching and keyword searching.
- Use AND, OR, NOT (Boolean operators) to connect search terms.
- Define truncation, nesting, field-specific searching, and phrase searching.
- Identify the main concepts of a research topic and generate a list of search terms.
1 of 15
© James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA