How to Use Go for the Gold
You may use Go for the Gold at any networked computer on or off campus. Go to http://www.lib.jmu.edu and click on Go for the Gold. Before you begin Go for the Gold, make sure you have cookies enabled on your computer as follows:
Go to Tools, Internet Options, Privacy
Make sure the slider isn't all the way at the top which says 'Block All Cookies'.
If it is, move the slider down at least one notch to allow it to be less restrictive.
Go to Tools, Options, Privacy (button on the left)
Make sure the checkbox is checked to 'Allow sites to set cookies'
The 8 modules in Go for the Gold should be completed in sequential order. The average time required to complete each module varies from about 10 minutes to 40 minutes.
To complete a module:
- Read the question in the upper frame and find the answer in the lower frame.
- After answering all of the questions, select "Submit Responses" at the end of the exercise set.
- You will get immediate feedback on how you scored.
- To improve your score, study the module and redo the exercise set.
- When you have completed a module, enter your instructor's JMU userid and your score will be stored in the Exercise Score Report Database for your instructor to view. If you do not enter your instructor's userid, your score will NOT be stored.
- When you have completed the exercises for all 8 modules, you will be ready to take the Information-Seeking Skills Test in Ashby Hall - L7. All GenEd Cluster One students are required to pass this test by the end of Spring Semester.
Ready to begin?
Go to the main Gold menu and select a module.
If you need assistance, ask at the Library Public Services Desk. (Phone: 568-6150)
© James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA