Return to Title Page
Rockingham County - History
Cities and Towns
Rockingham County and War
Business and Industry
Transportation and Communication
Politics and Government
Immigration and Settlement
Sports, Recreation, Collections
Physical and Natural
[Periodicals & Newspapers]
[Abbreviations & Location Codes]
[Search Full Site]
TIP: To search for a word or phrase on this page, select the Find function from your browser menu.
- 1850 Rockingham County, Virginia, Free Population Census, Slave Census, Mortality Schedule, Social Statistics. Transcribed by the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Publishing Company, 1997. 400p.
- Useful because the typed copy is superior to the microfilm or facsimile of the microfilm copy. NOTE: The original should be checked to confirm spellings.
1. United States - Census, 7th, 1850.
EMU-HL HRHS JMU
- Ritchie, Patricia T., comp. Index to the 1880 Census for Rockingham County, Virginia. Athens, Ga.: Iberian, . 173p.
- Information includes race, age, locality within the county, and microfilm page number. Alphabetically arranged.
1. United States - Census, 10th, 1880 - Indexes.
EMU-HL HRHS JMU RPL-GEN
- Schreiner-Yantis, Netti, and Love, Florene S., comp. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years; the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years; the Number of Slaves Over 16 & 21 Years; the Number of Slaves Over 16 & Those Under 16 Years; Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages; and also the Names of All Persons of Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physicians Licenses were Issued. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. 3 vol.: chart, folded map.
- This census has great importance because the 1790 federal census for Virginia was destroyed. The third volume is a personal name index.
1. Genealogy - Sources. 2. Registers of births, etc. 3. Taxation - Sources. 4. Rockingham County - Census.
BC JMU RPL-GEN
- Schreiner-Yantis, Nettie, and Love, Florence S. The Personal Property Tax Lists for the Year 1787 for Rockingham County, Virginia. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. p. (p. 639-678): map.
- This book, covering Rockingham County, is part of a three volume work for the state of Virginia. Because the 1790 and 1800 federal census records are lacking today this source has vital importance for the historian and genealogist. Names are in their original spellings and list names of white males over 21 years of age.
1. Taxation - Sources. 2. Rockingham County - Census. 3. Genealogy - Sources.
BC EMU-HL HRHS RPL-GEN
- Stuckert, Robert P. Black Populations of Southern Appalachian Counties. [Berea, Ky.]: Robert P. Stuckert, 1987. 44, 121, 27p. : tables.
Bibliography: p. 32-36.
- This work has a statistical analysis of the full Appalachian region. Coverage, by decennial census, is from 1850-1980. Total population is compared to Black American populations. Rockingham County is included.
1. Afro-Americans - Statistics. 2. Population - Statistics.