Return to Title Page
Rockingham County - History
Cities and Towns
Rockingham County and War
Business and Industry
Transportation and Communication
Politics and Government
Immigration and Settlement
Sports, Recreation, Collections
Physical and Natural
[Periodicals & Newspapers]
[Abbreviations & Location Codes]
[Search Full Site]
TIP: To search for a word or phrase on this page, select the Find function from your browser menu.
Civil War - Battles and Campaigns (General)
- Ashby, Thomas A. The Valley Campaigns: Being the Reminiscences of a Non-combatant While Between the Lines in the Shenandoah Valley During the War of the States. New York: Neale Publishing Company, 1914. 327p.
- The discussion includes a chapter on Turner Ashby and both the 1862 and 1864 Valley Campaigns. Rockingham events are noted.
1. Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862. 2. Valley Campaign of 1862. 3. Valley Campaign of 1864.
- Jones, Archer. Civil War Command and Strategy: The Process of Victory and Defeat. New York: Free Press, 1992. xi, 338p.: maps.
Bibliographical essay: p. 301-307.
- This study of military strategy during the Civil War includes some discussion of the Cross Keys and Port Republic battles. Maps of the two battlegrounds are provided.
1. Cross Keys, Battle of, 1862. 2. Port Republic, Battle of, 1862. 3. Valley Campaign of 1862.
- Kleese, Richard B. Shenandoah County in the Civil War: The Turbulent Years. 2nd ed. The Virginia Civil War Battles and Leaders Series. Lynchburg, Va.: H. E. Howard, 1992. 177p.: illus., maps.
Bibliography: p. 156-159.
- Battles and events in Rockingham County during the Valley Campaigns of both 1862 and 1864 are noted in this history. Appendices include a list of soldiers serving from Shenandoah County.
1. Valley Campaign of 1862. 2. Valley Campaign of 1864. 3. Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862.
BC EMU-HL JMU RPL
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Virginia. New York: Facts on File, 1992. xi, 287p.
Bibliography: p. 265-267.
- 418 military units from Virginia are presented in this reference book. Information includes their organization (dates of service), first commander, field officers, assignments (with dates), and battles fought. A "Battle Index" lists the units that fought in a given battle. This source is useful for locating the units that fought in Rockingham County.
1. Civil War, 1861-1865 - Regimental histories. 2. Civil War, 1861-1865 - Campaigns and battles.
BC JMU RPL-GEN