Return to Title Page
Rockingham County - History
Cities and Towns
Rockingham County and War
Business and Industry
Transportation and Communication
Politics and Government
Immigration and Settlement
Sports, Recreation, Collections
Physical and Natural
[Periodicals & Newspapers]
[Abbreviations & Location Codes]
[Search Full Site]
TIP: To search for a word or phrase on this page, select the Find function from your browser menu.
Civil War - Personal Narratives
- Boudrye, Louis N. Historic Records of the Fifth New York Cavalry, First Ira Harris Guard.... Albany, N.Y.: S.R. Gray, 1865. xv, 358p.: portraits, tables.
- This memoir includes information on Turner Ashby and the Battle of Harrisonburg. It also notes fighting at Port Republic and some action in Rockingham County during the 1864 Valley Campaign.
1. Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862 - Personal narratives. 2. Harrisonburg, Battle of, 1862 - Personal narratives. 3. Port Republic, Battle of, 1862 - Personal narratives. 4. Valley Campaign of 1864 - Personal narratives.
- Cole, Garold L. Civil War Eyewitnesses: An Annotated Bibliography of Books and Articles, 1955-1986. [Columbia, S.C.]: University of South Carolina, 1988. viii, 351p.
- Almost 1400 entries of books and journal articles are contained in this bibliography. Sections are on the North, the South, anthologies, letters, diaries, memoirs, etc. Turner Ashby, Stonewall Jackson, the Cross Keys and Port Republic Battles, and the two Valley Campaigns have entries.
1. Ashby, Turner, 1828-1862 - Personal narratives. 2. Jackson, Thomas J., 1824-1863 - Personal narratives. 3. Cross Keys, Battle of, 1862 - Personal narratives. 4. Port Republic, Battle of, 1862 - Personal narratives. 5. Valley Campaign of 1862 - Personal narratives. 6. Valley Campaign of 1864 - Personal narratives. 7. Civil War, 1861-1865 - Personal narratives.
- Early, Jubal A. Autobiographical Sketch and Narrative of the War Between the States. With Notes by R.H. Early. New York: Konecky & Konecky, 1994 reprint of the 1912 ed. , 496p.
- Early was in Rockingham County several times during the 1864 Valley Campaign. See entry #1576 in the compilers 1989 Rockingham County bibliography for the first edition.
1. Early, Jubal A., 1816-1894. 2. Valley Campaign of 1864. 3. Civil War, 1861-1865 - Personal narratives.
- Gilmor, Harry. Four Years in the Saddle. Baltimore: Butternut and Blue,  reprint of the 1866 ed. xii, 291, p. : illus., maps.
- Gilmor was a Confederate colonel. He was in Rockingham County during both the 1862 and 1864 Valley Campaigns. His memoirs frequently mention Rockingham County places and events. He was personally not heavily involved in the fighting in the County. This reprint edition has added an index and maps.
1. Gilmor, Harry, 1838-1883. 2. Civil War, 1861-1865 - Personal narratives. 3. Valley Campaign of 1862 - Personal narratives. 4. Valley Campaign of 1864 - Personal narratives.
- Oates, Dan, ed. Hanging Rock Rebel: Lt. John Blue's War in West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley. Shippensburg, Penn.: Burd Street Press, 1994. viii, 324p.: illus.
- After the Civil War Blue wrote his memoirs. Although he was from the Romney area there are references to events and individuals in Rockingham County.
1. Civil War, 1861-1865 - Personal narratives.