Return to Title Page
Rockingham County - History
Cities and Towns
Rockingham County and War
Business and Industry
Transportation and Communication
Politics and Government
Immigration and Settlement
Sports, Recreation, Collections
Physical and Natural
[Periodicals & Newspapers]
[Abbreviations & Location Codes]
[Search Full Site]
TIP: To search for a word or phrase on this page, select the Find function from your browser menu.
- The Harrisonburgopoly Game. Board game. Harrisonburg, Va.: Harrisonburg Jaycees, 1989.
- This board game is arranged like the standard monopoly board game. This game uses contemporary Harrisonburg businesses.
1. Games. 2. Board games.
- Rockingham County Baseball League, 70th Anniversary: 1924-1994. [Harrisonburg, Va.]: [Rockingham County Board of Directors], . 48p.: illus.
- This book is a program dated August 7, 1994. The heavily illustrated book has historical information, team photographs, team records, and standings. Advertisements are included.
1. Baseball - History.
- Bunch, Jeannie. "Long Distance Love Affair." Curio 12, no. 1 (Summer 1989): -50.
- Illustrated article on a number of Harrisonburg triathlon athletes. The article includes a discussion of their training habits.
- Cross, Amy. "Rappelling, Spelunking and Canoeing." Curio 13, no. 1 (Summer 1990): 49-52.
- An illustrated article on the Madison Outing Club at James Madison University.
1. Caves. 2. Canoes and canoeing. 3. Rappelling. 4. Madison Outing Club.
- Hutchison, Laura L. "Keeping Score." Curio 15, no. 1 (Summer 1992): 26-29.
- The career of football kicker Scott Norwood, a James Madison University graduate is highlighted in this Illustrated article.
1. Norwood, Scott. 2. Football.
- Hybl, Dean. "Jack, Jack, Jack and Earl." Curio 12, no. 1 (Summer 1989): 40-43.
- An illustrated article on four Harrisonburg men who in addition to their jobs work at the scorer's table at James Madison University basketball games. Earl Shirkey, Jack Smith, Jack Cavanaugh, and Jack Hale are featured.
1. Shirkey, Earl. 2. Smith, Jack. 3. Cavanaugh, Jack. 4. Hale, Jack. 5. Basketball - James Madison University. 6. James Madison University - Basketball.
- Lazenby, Roland. Sampson: A Life Above the Rim. Roanoke, Va.: Full Court, 1983. 201p.: illus.
- A biography of Ralph Sampson written by a journalist. His college career at the University of Virginia is featured. One section discusses his early life and school years.
1. Sampson, Ralph. 2. Basketball.
EMU JMU RPL
- Lovering, Sharon. "On Their Toes or on Their Feet." Curio 16, no. 1 (Summer 1993): 12-15.
- An illustrated article on ballet and karate instruction in Harrisonburg.
1. Dancing. 2. That Dance Place. 3. Karate. 4. Ballet. 5. Halterman Karate Institute.
- Morano, Rob. "Kings of the Road." Curio 13, no. 1 (Summer 1990): 58-62.
- Illustrated article on cruising in Harrisonburg.
1. Automobile driving. 2. Cruising.
- Porter, Randy, and Sorrells, Nancy. A Cyclist's Guide to the Shenandoah Valley. Staunton, Va.: Shenandoah Odysseys, 1994. xxi, 266p.: illus., maps.
- This is a detailed book for cyclists with maps listing all roads. Mileage is given for all trips. Rockingham County is well represented especially the areas around Harrisonburg and Bridgewater. Historical notes are interspersed with cycling trips.
1. Cycling - Guide-books. 2. Rockingham County - Description and travel.
EMU EMU-HL JMU RPL
- Richardson, Jim. "Magic Winter Knights." Curio 11, no. 1 (Summer 1988): 32-41.
- Turner Ashby High School and its 1967-1968 state championship basketball team is featured in this illustrated article. The starting team members have brief comments about themselves in the years since high school.
1. Turner Asby High School. 2. Basketball.
- Sheetz, B.C. "Pedaling Through Time." Curio 15, no. 1 (Summer 1992): 50-53.
- A look at a twenty mile bicycle loop through the Dry River Valley west of Dayton is presented in this illustrated article. Historical and cultural aspects of the area are noted.
1. Bicycles. 2. Bicycling.
- Skinner, Elizabeth, and Skinner, Charlie. Bicycling the Blue Ridge: A Guide to the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Birmingham, Ala.: Menaska Ridge Press, 1990. xiii, 173p.: illus., maps, graphs.
Bibliography: p. -170.
- This guide cover the full area of the Blue Ridge. Rockingham County areas are included. There is a map of the Rockingham County area and a description of the trail.
1. Bicycling - Guide-books. 2. Blue Ridge Mountains - Guide-books. 3. Skyline Drive - Guide-books.
- Whitworth, Rosetta. "Bow to Your Partner." Curio 14, no. 1 (Summer 1991): 37-39.
- The folk and social dance program at James Madison University under the direction of Earlynn J. Miller is featured in this illustrated article.
1. Miller, Earlynn J. 2. Folk dancing. 3. James Madison University - Dancing.
- Williams, Robyn. "Riding the Midnight Sun." Curio 15, no. 1 (Summer 1992): 32-36.
- Hot air ballooning over the Shenandoah Valley by Otto Brenner, a James Madison University professor, is featured in this illustrated article.
1. Brenner, Otto. 2. Hot Air Balloons. 3. Balloons.
- Williams, Robyn. "Splits, Spares and Strikes." Curio 14, no. 1 (Summer 1991): 23-25.
- Valley Lanes, a Harrisonburg bowling alley, is featured in this illustrated article.
1. Bowling. 2. Valley Lanes.