List of JMU Archival Collections
Archival collection numbers are composed of two to three letters designating the originating or source office, followed by a number designating the date of receipt in YY-MM-DD format.
A collection number that is highlighted has a more detailed inventory listing of contents linked to it.
R = Indicates that a collection has restrictions on its use. Restrictions are noted on the outside of the box.
See also the Manuscripts in Special Collections link for alumni and faculty manuscript collections, which are denoted with asterisks and printed in a purple font.
- AA 99-0914 Academic program reviews, external & internal; 1995-2006; 7 records storage boxes
- AD 94-0113 Annual reports; 1961-19-- (gap '62-64), 2 Hollinger box.
- AD 94-0316 Preview, Viewbk. brochures, Newsletter.; 1972-1994 (gaps), .5 Hollinger box.
Affirmative Action Office
- AF 90-0501 Correspondence with Governor's Office, 1977;Employment plans, recruitment, 1978-1986; Summary admission reports, plan amendments, follow up reports: 1980-1986
Annual Events Office
- AN 92-0915 Commencement videos; Dec. 1989-1998.
- AN 93-0916 Commencement programs; 1910 - (kept current), 1 storage box.
Anthony Seeger Campus School
- AS 91-1016 Inventory, enrollment, misc.; 1970s-80s, 1 Hollinger box and 3 oversize folders housed with AS 93-0303 box 3
- AS 93-0303 PTA minutes, scrapbooks; 1958-1979, 1 Hollinger and 2 oversize manuscript boxes.
College of Applied Science & Technology
- CAS 2004-0604 7 reports/proposals on development of College, 1988-99, 1/2 Hollinger box
College of Education
- CED 94-0112 Teacher ed. accreditation report; 1993, 1 Hollinger box.
- FM 2006-1207 Architectural drawings of various campus buildings and grounds, 1914-1983, 1 oversize box and 2 oversize folders (7 linear feet).
- FA 93-0305 Faculty Senate minutes; 1967-(kept current); Miscellaneous documents pertaining to the Faculty Senate. 2 storage boxes.
* 3 cassette tapes were removed from collection and housed in the media cabinet with other SdArch cassettes.
Field Services & Placement
- FI 93-0909 Liaison with public schools; 1951-70 (gaps), .5 Hollinger box.
Furious Flower Poetry Center
- UA 0017 - Furious Flower Poetry Center Records, 1990-2014 - 13 Hollinger boxes, 1 half-Hollinger box, 1 oversize flat folder containing departmental and administrative records of the Furious Flower Poetry Center.
- UA 0018 - Furious Flower Poetry Center Conference Records, 1970-2009 - 9 Hollinger boxes, 1 oversize Hollinger box, 1 record storage box, 1 rolled storage container, 1 oversize flat folder containing materials related to the decennial Furious Flower Poetry Center conferences beginning with the inaugural confereince in 1994.
- GC 92-1001 Grad. Council minutes; 1958-1971, 2 Hollinger boxes.
- HI 93-0407 Dingledine (Raymond C. Jr.) Papers. Files of Dept. Head R.C. Dingledine, Jr.; 1951-83, 3 legal sized hollinger boxes.
- IR 94-0419 Faculty salaries, student assessment, misc. reports; 1974- 98; 1 Hollinger box.
- (For current data, check with Office of Institutional Research, or see its Newsletter).
JMU Women's Club
- JA 96-0402 Yearbooks, newsletters, misc.; 1986-93, 1/2 Hollinger box.
Kappa Delta Pi: International Honor Society in Education, dedicated to scholarship and excellence in education.
- KDP 2004-0922 Charter (1928) and account book (1938-1947).
- UA 0008 - Libraries & Educational Technologies Records - 23 Hollinger boxes and some oversize materials - Collection contains the administrative records for JMU Libraries from 1939-2014. This collection also contains historical items related to the history and development of the library.
Living Sciences Department
- LS 91-0904 Annual Reports, Five Year plans, Self-Evaluations, Scrapbooks [disassembled]; 1950 -1990, 2 1/2 Hollinger boxes
Madison Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies
- MA 95-1002 Center for Science & Tech., 1984-1993; 2 fold.; Freshman Seminar, 1987-1993; 3 folders.
President's Office; Documents Spanning Several Presidential Administrations:
- PR 99-1122 Board of Trustees/Visitors minutes, correspondence, and reports from the President to Board, 1908-1995 (with gaps); Reports of the President to State Board of Education, 1909-1962; Faculty Minutes 1908-1998 (with gaps); a few legal/financial documents related to leases and insurance, 1917-80; 6 storage boxes, 1 Hollinger box, & 1 oversize box.
- PR 93-0409 Minute books of various committees, 1909-56: Publications Comm. 1909-43; Appointments & Relations 1911-12, Equipment 1911-13, Library 1939-40 (all in 1 volume); Student Welfare 1911-13, Alumnae Relations 1926-30, Administrative Council 1912-27; Public Exercises & Entertainment 1926-56; 1 Hollinger box.
- R PR 2000-0516 Disciplinary cases and budget reports, 1949-93 (with gaps), 2 storage boxes; 1 fold. on naming of buildings, (1957-80). Permission of Library Dean needed.
- PR 2005-1115 University Council Minutes 1972-2003. 21 folders in one record storage box.
President Samuel P. Duke
- PR 94-0330 President Duke's correspondence with students, parents, & prospective employees, 1944-46; 1/2 Hollinger box.
- PR 99-1116 Executive Committee minutes, Oct. 1948-Aug. 1949. This committee administered the college during Dr. Duke's illness. 1/2 Hollinger box.
President G. Tyler Miller
- PR 2004-0217 G. Tyler Miller Collection, 1949-2005. Correspondence, reports, judicial hearing transcripts, and other materials from G. Tyler Miller’s tenure as president of Madison College 1949-1970, as well as reminiscences and interviews created following his retirement. Two records storage boxes and one Oversize folder.
President Ronald E. Carrier
- PR 94-0906 Final report of Presidential Task Force on graduate education; 1994, .5 Hollinger box.
- PR 2000-0516B The Ronald E. Carrier Collection, 1965-1998. These are the papers of Ronald E. Carrier, who was President of James Madison University from 1971-1998, and who went on to become Chancellor.
President Linwood Rose
- PR 99-0928 President Linwood Rose's inauguration: programs, speech, invitations, videos, etc.; Sept. 1999, 1 Hollinger box.
Public Relations (material from several offices)
- PU 87-9022 Press releases: 1969-1984, 8 storage boxes.
- PU 88-1015 News clippings: photocopies for 1908-21, 1930, 1933-44 in 1 Hollinger box; scrapbooks (many with indexes) for 1945-58 in 2 storage boxes; 12 binders for 1963-75 in 4 flat boxes.
- PU 88-1027 News clipping scrapbooks: 1975-1986, 12 flat boxes.
Recordings and Oversize Images (Miscellaneous, by various offices)
- RE 93-0427 Miscellaneous recordings, 1968-1986
Box 1 (Located in Media Cabinet in Special Collections)
#1 Withdrawn; video of President Carrier's inauguration 12/71 proved to be such poor quality as to be unusable and the content irretrievable.
#2 A&B, Roy Nichols, Founder's Day 1968;
#3 A&B, Clark Kerr, Wilson Hall 10/8/1971;
(#4 A&B, Miller Hall Dedication 4/26/75; moved to PR 2004- 0217)
#5, The Madison College Story;
#6, R. Carrier, Orientation 7/7/75;
(#7, G. T. Miller interview 7/14/82 by R. Dingledine and M. Caldwell with transcript, moved to PR 2004- 0217).
#8, (& copy), Dr. Raymond Dingledine on the history of JMU, 1983, with transcript. (added to HI 93-0407)
#9, M. D. Peterson, JMU Lecture 1976;
#10, Marching Royal Dukes, 1986.
#11 (VHS video), Classroom of the 21st Century, 1993 (2 copies). Also available at Memorial Hall Library.
#12, (video) 50th Reunion of Class of 1952 in May, 2002. (Some of graduates featured here appeared in the ca. 1955 video This is Madison.
#13, (video) Interview with Mary Spitzer Etter, Class of 1934, in 1996. See also "A Social History of Student Life" (Oral History), by Monica Malinowski, SdArch no. 7, and the Mary Spitzer Etter Papers, SC #5012.
Box 2 (Flat)
3 framed images:
- State Teachers College Glee Club at Winchester, 1931
- Albumen print of original campus drawing of Quad by architect Charles M. Robinson
- Albumen print of original campus drawing of academic village by Charles M. Robinson
Box 3 (Flat)
3 framed images:
- President Burruss
- President Duke
- Color photo on canvas of Mr. Chandler (?) signing name change to JMU? [c.1977]
[See primarily AA 99-0914]
- SE 92-0929 Department & Committee Self Study Reports, 1961-2007, [1961,1980-1987,1991-2007]; 2 and 1/2 Hollinger boxes filed alphabetically by committee or department, and chronologically.
- Committee and Department Self Study Reports to the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, A - G, 1961
- G - S, and Summary Report, 1961
- SAC Self-Evaluation Manual, 1980-1981
- Reports of Title IX, 1976
- Affirmative Action Employment Plan, 1978-1983
- Affirmative Action Employment Plan for Black and Female Classified Employees and Female Faculty, 1983
- Amendments to the Affirmative Action Student Plan, 1983
- Amendments to the Affirmative Action Employment Plan, 1983
- Narrative Assessment of the 1983 Amendments of the VA Plan for Equal Opportunity, 1984
- JMU Five Year Plan, 1985
- Career Planning and Placement, Follow-up Report, 1985
- Five Year Plan and Employment update reports, 1986
- JMU Five Year Plan, 1987
- College and Departmental Summaries, 1991
- Department Report: Information Technology, 1992
- SACS Report of the Reaffirmation Committee, 1992
- University Response to Reaffirmation Committee Recommendations, 1992
- Department Report: Institutional Research, 1993
- General Education Surveys, 1998
- Madison College Reorganization Report, 2004-2007
- UA 0015 - Sister Speak Records - 2 Hollinger boxes containing the administrative files from 2001-2013 related to Sister Speak, a feminist literary journal and organization at James Madison University.
- SP 98-0211 Scrapbooks, letters, photos, news clippings, etc. 1914-1996. 1 records storage & 2.5 Hollinger boxes.
Student Government Association (SGA)
- UA 0007 - Student Government Association Records - 29 Hollinger Boxes, 2 half-size Hollinger Boxes, 3 Oversize boxes containing material relating to the activities of the James Madison University's Student Government Association from its establishment as the Student Association of the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg in 1915 until 2015.
- SU 93-0225 Diplomas
- SU 93-0315 Scrapbooks 1909-1916: Lanier Soc. 1911-12; Lee Soc. 1909-12; YWCA 1909-16 (2 volumes).
- SU 93-0331 Minutes and scrapbooks; 1912-1956, 3 Hollinger Boxes: Lanier Lit. Soc. 1912-1931; Reunion Book of Class of 1913, 1913- 1935; Lanier Lit. Soc., 1920-1931; Sigma Delta Chi (Stratford Dramatic Club) 1920-1936; Student Council 1922-24; Presidents Council/Jury Rolls 1923-1947; Student Body 1925-1933; Debating Club 1928-1939; Senior Class of 1932; 1934; 1936; "The Madison College Glee Club," 3 record album set, 3 copies, 1950; Glee Club Scrapbook 1956; Kappa Delta Pi 1918-1944; Edna T. Schaeffer Retirement Album, 1956.
- SU 93-0518 Scrapbook of Etta Evans; 1935-36, .5 Hollinger box.
- SU 2002-0910 Maxine N. Evans 1 fold. 4 postcards and 7 letters mostly from Ethel Dunn, student at the State Normal School, to relatives, 1918-1927.
- SU 2004-0505 Ellen Frank Armentrout 1 fold. 8 letters (photocopies), 1961-64, from Ms. Armentrout, a 1965 graduate, home to her parents. Digital scans of 15 photos placed in the JMU Photograph Collection
- SU 2004-0904 Louise Fontaine Baker, class of 1926. 1 fold. 1 letter (photocopy), February 2004, from Ms. Baker to James Katzman, Alumni Board of Directors.
- SU 2004-1215 3 scrapbooks from freshman classes 1945, 1946, 1947.
- SU 2004-1216 2 items: Student Loan Ledger, 1928-1936; Madison College Harrisonburg Chapter Alumni scrapbook, 1949/50.