A Guide to the

Staunton Academy Records, 1808-1828

SC 0074

Compiled by: Don Lambert, February 1987

Updated: December 2008, January 2017

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University

Title: Staunton Academy Records, 1808-1828

Collection No. : SC 0074

Creator: Staunton Academy

Extent: One folder; 10 items

Abstract:The Staunton Academy Records, 1808-1828, consist primarily of minutes from the board of trustees' meeting of the Staunton Academy as well as correspondence and issues addressed at said meetings.

Administrative Information


Access Restrictions:
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
Use Restrictions: The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (library-special@jmu.edu).
Preferred Citation: [Identification of Item], [box #, folder #], Staunton Academy Records, SC 0074, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Acquisition Information: Purchased in February 1987.
Processing Information: In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 1758.

Administrative History

The Staunton Academy in Staunton, Virginia was incorporated in 1792, but a formal schoolhouse was not completed until after 1810. The Academy was founded from funds raised through bond sales, and also from state funds raised through the sale of glebe lands. The administration of the Academy was first entrusted to James G. Waddell and Bartholomew Fuller, who were the Academy's first principals and faculty. Waddell taught the classics and Fuller taught mathematics. In 1833, Lyttleton Waddell became joint principals with William Cooke. Waddell continued as principal for more than twenty years. During that time, the school was very prosperous, attracting many pupils from abroad. The final principals to be appointed by the Board of Trustees were Pike Powers and Charles E. Young. In the 1872-1873 school year, the Staunton public schools were over crowded with 375 school children. The Staunton Academy, who had 25 day students in 1873, was asked for the use of their building by the public school. As of 1873, the Staunton Academy became a public school.

Scope and Content:

The Staunton Academy Records, 1808-1828, are comprised of ten items housed in a single legal sized folder within a half-sized legal Hollinger box. The collection consists primarily of minutes from the board of trustees' meeting of the Staunton Academy as well as correspondence and issues addressed at said meetings. Of particular interest in a 1818 document that lists the original members of the board when the Staunton Academy was established in 1792.

Arrangement:

The collection is arranged chronologically within a single legal sized folder.

Bibliography:

MacMaster, Richard K. Augusta County history, 1865-1950. Staunton, Va.: Augusta County Historical

Society, 1988. (p. 384)

Waddell, Joseph A. Annals of Augusta County, Virginia, from 1726 to 1871. Harrisonburg, Va.: C.J.

Carrier Co., 1986. (p. 46)