A Guide to the Wittig Store Ledger, 1886-1889

Collection Number SC 5043

 

Compiled by: Emily Stein, November 2012

 

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University

Title: Wittig Store Ledger, 1886-1889

Collection No.: SC 5043

Creator: Wittig Family

Extent: 1 Half Hollinger Box

Language: English

Abstract: This collection contains one ledger with a client list and daily transactions. There are copies made of missing pages and badly discolored pages from the beginning section.

Administrative Information

Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions: The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk. (library-special@jmu.edu).

Preferred Citation: [identification of item], Wittig Store Ledger, 1886-1889, SC 5043, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.

Acquisition Information: Purchased by Special Collections in January 2009 from Getz.

Processing Information: The binding was removed and several damaged pages photocopied in July 2009.

Biographical/Historical Note: The store was owned and operated by the Wittig family. Ulrich Wittig and his wife, Catherine Baughman, came to the New Market area after Siram Henkel paid for their passage in return for the Wittigs' labor. Eventually, Ulrich Wittig earned enough money to buy what is considered the Wittig Store District - a vast amount of land in Dovesville which happened to contain a store and mill. On top of owning the store, he was the first postmaster of the area until the post office was discontinued in 1866. The Wittig general store was run with the help of his seven children. It was not until 1872 that the postmaster position was reinstated due to the post office being a part of the general store. One of Ulrich’s sons, Henry Wittig, then became the postmaster. The name of Dovesville was actually changed two times before gaining the permanent name of today: Bergton, Virginia located in Rockingham County. A great deal of information is written about the family members themselves by Lewis H. Yankey - a distant relative. However, there is not much written about the store itself or what happened to it.

Scope and Content: The Wittig Store Ledger is comprised of a single ledger that contains the store transactions from 1886 to 1889. It provides an alphabetized client list and from there, the rest of the ledger is filled with the transactions of each individual client. The list of transactions is not alphabetized, but rather follows a chronological timeline. There is no previous or follow up ledger. It is the only series in its collection.

Arrangement: Within the folder, there is the ledger itself and a few loose papers. These papers contain photocopied parts of the binding that were removed and slightly damaged pages in the beginning of the ledger.

Contents:

Wittig & Sons                                                           Box: Folder

              Ledger                                                                1:1