Marianne L. Garber Collection, 1780-1899
Collection Number SC 3066
Revised by: Cara Lundgren, February 2014
Repository: Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
Title: Marianne L. Garber Collection
Collection No.: SC 3066
Creator: Marianne L. Garber
Extent: 2 folders in one Hollinger Box: 0.42 linear feet
Abstract: The Marianne L. Garber Collection contains one journal written by William Mathias Harner from 1847-1861, eight legal and business documents dating from 1815- 1899 and, in the oversize box, ten land deeds and indentures dating from 1780-1887.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to research
Use Restrictions: The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk. (email@example.com).
Preferred Citation: Marianne L. Garber Collection, SC 3066, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Acquisition Information: This collection was donated to the Library in January, 1995 by Marianne L. Garber of Timberville, VA.
Other Formats Available: The farm journal of William Mathias Harner has been transcribed and is in the first folder.
Bio/Historical Note: William Harner was born to George and Margaret Harner on November 25, 1823. He was baptized at Peak Mountain Church on January 10, 1824. It is believed that the name Harner might have originally been Hares. He attended Peak Mountain Church, a Lutheran and Reform church all of his life. Harner was the youngest of eight children. He lived on his family's farm in the 1850 United States census. This Census places them in the 56 1/2 District in Oct 16, 1850.
Scope & Content:
This collection consists of 19 items from 1780 to 1899, the majority of which are land deeds and miscellaneous legal and business documents for Rockingham and Shenandoah Counties, Va. Also included in the collection is a farm journal with one-line entries describing agricultural activities almost daily for most of the time period from August, 1847 to May, 1861. According to the donor, the journal was written by William Mathias Harner of McGaheysville, VA, born Nov. 24, 1823 and married Jan. 1852.
Folder 1 Farm journal, Wm. M. Harner, 1847-1861
- Transcribed Farm Journal of Wm. M. Harner 1847-1861 with biographical note and footnotes
- Farm Journal, WM. M. Harner, 1847-1861
Folder 2 Legal & Business Documents:
- 1815 Debt obligation of Philip and George Pence
- 1854 Deposition on behalf of Samuel and Rebecca Fry
- 1865 July 1 Letter from Major C. Shirley to "Dear Friend" (probably a contemporary copy)
- 1877 Purchase list, Fred Offman to Coffman Zirkle, New Market
- 1887 Purchase list, Daniel Shirley in acc't with L.P. Henkel & Co.
- 1897 Debt obligation of John Linhoss to Charles K. Urner[?] for land
- 1899 Debt release of John Linhoss by W.P. Crickenberger
- Undated Land resurvey for David Homan
OVERSIZE BOX 1:
Folder 1 Land Deeds and Indentures:
- 1780 Richard Campfield, "A Copy from Record"
- 1787 John Petner [Pitner], signed Beverley Randolph
- 1793 Henry Mave [Nave], signed by Henry Lee
- 1794 John & Barbara Pitner to John Nave
- 1796 Adam & Liza Pitner to John Levich
- 1801 Michael & Rachel Humble & others to John Livy
- 1824 John Homan & others to David Homan
- 1847 Gideon & Regina Pentz to Jonas Pentz
- 1854 Samuel & Rebecca Fry to Lewis Will
- 1887 Daniel Shirley to Joseph Roller