Virginia Hisey Myers Collection
Carrier Library, James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Compiled by Chris Bolgiano, December 1989
Edited July, 2008
Scope & Content
This collection consists of ten business ledgers from L. M Hisey & Co. and Wightman & Hisey, 1894-1900. These businesses, located in Shenandoah County near Edinburgh, dealt in farm-related products and implements. The ledgers document sales of and orders for agricultural and forestry items, especially phosphate, coal, wheat, bark, and lumber, as well as corn and tools such as plows. Some ledgers also contain financial information about the companies, such as lists of notes due. Receipts and bills, inserted in a few of the ledgers, further document the businesses.
Gift of Mrs. Virginia Hisey Myers, through Mr. Douglas Dellinger, in November 1989.
- Phosphate Book, 1894.
- Phosphate Book, 1895.
- Phosphate Book, 1896. These ledgers contain individual accounts, orders received, and other business dealings mostly concerning phosphate.
- Coal Book, 1894. Individual accounts for lump and nut coal sold, including bushels, pounds, hauling, and price; and coal received.
- Order Book, 1898. General ledger of miscellaneous accounts.
- Invoice of Wightman & Hisey, 1896. List of accounts.
- General ledger of accounts, 1898-1899.
- General ledger of accounts, 1899-1900.
- Wheat Book, 1899-1900. Wheat accounts of individuals.
- Merchants & Farmers Bank [Book], 1897-1900. General ledger of accounts.