A Guide to the Virginia Theatre & New Virginia Theatre Playbills, 1914-1924
Collection Number SC 3011
Compiled by: Chris Bolgiano, May 1995
Revised by: Alicia Henneberry, Sept. 2013
Repository: Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
Title: Virginia Theatre & New Virginia Theatre Playbills, 1914-1924
Collection No.: SC 3011
Creator: The Virginia Theatre & New Virginia Theatre
Extent: 1 Folder
Abstract: This collection features nine playbills from plays and musical acts performed at the Virginia Theatre & New Virginia Theatre from the early twentieth century. The theatre was located in downtown Harrisonburg.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
Use Restrictions: The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Preferred Citation: Virginia Theatre & New Virginia Theatre Playbills, 1914-1924, SC 3011, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Acquisition Information: Purchased from Bookworm & Silverfish Book Dealers, Wytheville, Va. in Feb. 1995.
Bio/Historical Note: The New Virginia Theatre was owned by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corporation, and opened sometime around the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. It was originally built as an old opera house and was complete with a performance stage, balcony, and private box seats. During the early twentieth century, the New Virginia Theater hosted many different stage plays and musical acts. By the year 1950, the name was changed to the Virginia Theater and it was converted into a movie theater. The theater eventually fell into disrepair, and was closed around 1986 and later torn down. During its lifetime, the theater was one of the many favorite Harrisonburg attractions, and was enjoyed by both Harrisonburg residents and Madison College students alike.
Scope and Content: The Virginia Theatre & New Virginia Theatre, 1914-1924, is comprised of nine playbills (one folder) of the Virginia Theatre and New Virginia Theatre in Harrisonburg, VA, 1914-24 and undated. The largest size is 15" x 6". Each gives the title of the program (several specify vaudeville and minstrels), actors, and producers. Many of the playbills also include advertising by local establishments, especially W.E. Friddle's Restaurant. Most of the playbills are for plays that were performed by the theater. Two of the playbills are for concerts given by musical acts: The Lasses White All-Star Minstrels and John W. Vogel’s Big City Minstrels.
Arrangement: The collection is contained in one folder, arranged chronologically.
“What’s Changed About Harrisonburg?” hburgnews.com
Virginia Theatre & New Virginia Theatre Playbills