Click & Pickup: Check Out Library Books
Posted on: September 2, 2020
While we recommend using our online collections, we do still have books! We’ve adapted our services to allow our community to request books and other physical materials and pick them up from a JMU library location with limited interaction with Libraries staff.
These changes are part of our Operations Plan for Academic Year 2020-21 and are available to all patrons including JMU students, staff, and faculty (as well as registered Community Borrowers) in an effort to provide access to our physical collections, while fostering community health and prioritizing the safety and health of the Libraries’ staff members who will be processing requests.
What can I check out?
Library materials available via Click & Pickup include:
- Books in the general collection, the browsing collection, or the juvenile collection
- Music scores and collected edition scores
- Movies (DVDs) and audio materials (CDs)
- Reference books
- Government documents
What materials are not available?
At this time, we are not able to include the following materials in the Click & Pickup service: Special Collections materials, Communication Sciences & Disorders diagnostic tests, microforms, or any library materials stored in off-site storage.
How do I request a book or other material?
Submit an online request and we’ll send you an email with information on how to pick up your materials. Details:
- Find the item you want in the Library Catalog. If you would like help searching for items, please Ask the Library.
- Select or click the title of the item you want.
- If you are not already signed in, click Sign in under the Get it heading:
- Sign in with your JMU eID or your Community Borrower* login.
- Click Request for Pickup under the Get It heading.
- On the Request for Pickup screen, choose your preferred pickup location. (JMU faculty, staff, and doctoral students who have their departmental mailbox listed in MyMadison may request items be delivered to their departmental mailbox by selecting “Work Address” for the Pickup Location.)
- Under Not needed after, choose the date by which you would no longer want this item.**
- Click Send Request.
- After submitting your request, you will receive an email with information on how to pick up your materials. In most cases, you will receive this email one working day after you submit your request (e.g. if you submit a request on Friday, you will probably receive the email on the following Monday).
- Once your materials are ready, you will have five days (in most cases) to pick them up before they are reshelved.
What are some of the safety protocols for this service?
Libraries staff members wear face coverings and disposable gloves when handling requested materials. Per JMU’s “Stop the Spread” guidelines, everyone picking up materials must wear a face covering when in the library building.
How do I pick up the materials?
Follow the instructions in the email you receive after submitting your request. In most cases, you will receive this email one working day after you submit your request (e.g. if you submit a request on Friday, you will probably receive the email on the following Monday). Once your materials are ready, you will have five days (in most cases) to pick them up before they are reshelved.
How long can I keep the materials?
You can keep the materials for the regular checkout period:
- 4 months for books and music scores in the general collection
- 4 weeks for books in the browsing collection, CDs, and DVDs
- 4 days for periodicals, reference books, and collected edition scores
How do I return the materials?
You may return materials via our exterior book drops or by mail.
We will share more information about this service on this page and in future messages. Details of this service may change in response to external developments or safety concerns, so please check here or ask us if you have any questions about this service. View our full Fall 2020 re-entry plan here.
**We try to fill requests quickly, but it may take considerable time to provide certain items, such as those that are currently checked out. For your safety, materials that had been checked out to others will be placed in isolation for an appropriate amount of time once they are returned to us and before we provide them to you. Once your materials are ready, you will have five days (in most cases) to pick them up before they are re-shelved.
Originally published on June 16, 2020. Updated on September 2 to add on-campus delivery option for faculty, staff, and doctoral students. Updated on February 24, 2021.
Categorised in: JMU Libraries News