Want to do library research from off campus, but don’t want to fuss with changing your browser settings or using Pulse Secure? This shortcut will start Google Chrome in “Library Research Mode”, using the library proxy server.
Here’s How it Works
- Be sure all Chrome browsers are closed.
- Double-click on the “JMU Libraries Research” shortcut to start a new Chrome instance using the proxy.
- To disable the proxy, close all active Chrome windows and restart Chrome using your normal method.
Setting up the JMU Libraries Research Shortcut
- Download the shortcut installer and save it to your desktop.
- Double-click on the file to unzip the application. You can copy the resulting JMULibrariesResearchMacOSX.app to your Applications folder. You can also add it to your Dock for more convenient access.
- Be sure that Chrome is completely closed (⌘+Q), then open the JMU Libraries Research application.
- The first time you open the application, OSX will warn you that the application is from an unidentified developer. You will need to override the security settings for this app only in order to use it.
- In the Finder, locate the JMULibrariesResearchMacOSX.app file in your Applications folder. You must use Finder for this, not Launchpad.
- Control-click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
- Click Open. The app will be saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it just as you can any registered app.
- To be sure that the browser is using the proxy, you can type
chrome://net-internals/#proxyinto the Chrome address bar. If the proxy is setup correctly, you should see something like the following.
- The first time you attempt to access a library resource (including using Quick Search), you will be asked to sign in with your eID and password.
- To disable the proxy, close Chrome completely (⌘+Q), then reopen the browser using your usual method.
- Make sure that Chrome is installed to your Applications folder. The Chrome installer should do this by default. This shortcut will not work if it is installed anywhere else.
- Please contact email@example.com if you have questions or want to provide feedback.