The Pulse Secure mobile app connects iOS and Android devices to JMU’s SSL VPN service. This app is not officially supported by JMU Libraries or JMU IT. The following configuration information is provided for your convenience, should you choose to pursue this option on your own.
- Install the Pulse Secure app from Google Play, or use this direct link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.pulsesecure.pulsesecure&hl=en .
- Tap Accept at the bottom of the page to accept the terms and conditions of use.
- In the VPN tab on the next screen, tap the Add Connection button.
- Fill out the fields on the New Connection screen. (Note: These fields may be in a different order depending on the type of Android device you are using.)
- Connection Name– Name the VPN connection something useful, like JMU VPN.
- URL– Enter https://sslvpn.jmu.edu.
- Username– Enter your eID.
- Authentication– This should be set to password.
- Realm– Leave this blank.
- Role– Leave this blank.
- Tap the Create Connection button.
- The JMU VPN should now appear under the Connections section. Tap the green Connect button.
- Enter your eID and password. Tap Sign In.
- You may see a screen pop up with a Pre-Sign In Notification. This is an announcement from JMU with special instructions on using Duo to connect from off campus. Duo offers three options for authentication:
- Text Message
This message will provide specific instructions on how you connect from off campus depending on which method of authentication you setup for Duo. The Duo settings are managed in your MyMadison page. Once you have read the message, click Proceed to move to the next step. See the JMU Computing page about Duo for more information.
- On some Android devices, you may be notified that Pulse Secure is trying to create a VPN connection. Select the box next to “I trust this application,” then tap OK. It is ok if you do not see this message on your device.
- The VPN should now be connected. Look for these indicators:
- A Connectedmessage appears in the Status bar in the app.
- There is now a Disconnectbutton in the VPN tab.
- A key icon may appear in the status bar of the device (may not be available on all Android devices).
If these indicators are displayed, you can minimize the app and use a web browser on the device to access the library resources.
Recommended Android browsers: Chrome or Firefox.
To sign out, open the app and tap Sign Out. The next time you want to connect to the VPN, just open the app, tap Connect, and sign in with your eID and password. The other settings will be saved.