The Pulse Secure mobile app connects iOS and Android devices to JMU’s SSL VPN service. This app is not officially supported by JMU Libraries or JMU IT. The following configuration information is provided for your convenience, should you choose to pursue this option on your own.
- Install the Pulse Secure app from the App Store.
- Tap Accept to accept the terms and conditions of use.
- Tap Enable on the following screen.
- The next screen you see will have two sections: VPN and Collaboration. In the VPN section tap the black arrow next to “not selected”.
- In the new window, you’ll see these fields:
- Name– Name the VPN connection something useful, like JMU VPN.
- URL– Enter https://sslvpn.jmu.edu.
- Username– Enter your eID.
- Authentication– This should be set to password.
- Realm– Leave this blank.
- Role– Leave this blank.
- Once the fields are filled out, tap Save.
- The JMU VPN will then be available in the VPN section.
- Tap the green Connect button, then log in with your eID and password.
- You may see a screen pop up with a Pre-Sign In Notification. This is an announcement from JMU with special instructions on using Duo to connect from off campus. Duo offers three options for authentication:
- Text Message
This message will provide specific instructions on how you connect from off campus depending on which method of authentication you setup for Duo. The Duo settings are managed in your MyMadison page. Once you have read the message, click Proceed to move to the next step. See the JMU Computing page about Duo for more information.
Tap the green Sign In button. Look for these indications that the VPN has successfully connected:
- The green button in the VPN section of the app reads Disconnect.
- There is a small, green checkmark in the VPN area.
- A VPN badge appears in the iPad heading next to the wifi indicator (upper left corner of the device).
If all 3 indicators are displayed, you can minimize the app and use a web browser on the iPad to access library resources.
Recommended iPad browsers: Safari, Chrome, Firefox.
To sign out, open the Pulse Secure app again, then tap the Disconnect button to sign off. The next time you want to connect to the VPN, just open the app, tap Connect, and sign in with your eID and password. The other settings will be saved.