Installing Pulse Secure
- Download the Pulse Secure installer for your version of Windows from the JMU Computing software download page. Note: you will need to enter your eID and password to download the installer.
- Locate the installer file on your computer and double-click on it to run the installer.
- Click Next. Then click Install. You may be prompted to enter your computer’s administrator password before the program will install.
- Once the installer finishes, click Finish to close the installer and start up Pulse Secure.
- To finish setting up Pulse Secure, locate the icon in your taskbar, click on it and select Open Pulse Secure. Note, you may have to click on the white down-arrow that indicates there are more notifications. If you do not see the icon in your taskbar, start up the application by selecting it from the Windows Start Menu folder.
- Click on the + sign next to Connections to open the Add Connection dialogue box.
- Give the connection a name (e.g. “JMU”) in the Name text box. In the Server URL box, enter https://sslvpn.jmu.edu.
- Click Add to save the connection. You should see the new connection in the Pulse Secure box.
Using Pulse Secure
- Make sure Pulse Secure is running; you should see the icon in your taskbar.
- Click on the Pulse Secure icon in your taskbar and select Open Pulse Secure.
- You should see the connection that you created when you setup Pulse Secure. Click on the Connect button on the right side.
- You may see a screen pop up with a Pre-Sign In Notification. This is an announcement from JMU with special instructions on using Duo to connect from off campus. Duo offers three options for authentication:
- Text Message
This message will provide specific instructions on how you connect from off campus depending on which method of authentication you setup for Duo. The Duo settings are managed in your MyMadison page. Once you have read the message, click Proceed to move to the next step. See the JMU Computing page about Duo for more information.
- If you see a box asking you to select a “Realm”, select the Green option and then click Connect.
- Enter your eID and password in the dialogue box, then select Connect.
- Next, enter the Secondary Password following the instructions from the Pre-Sign In Notification page:
- Duo App: push
- Text Message: sms1
- Passcode: enter passcode generated on your Duo mobile app, hardware token or JMU Yubikey token
- Click Connect after entering information. If you entered push or sms1, check your phone to either approve the Duo connection or get the passcode to enter.
- To stop using Pulse Secure, click on the Pulse Secure icon in your taskbar and select Open Pulse Secure, then click the Disconnect button next to your JMU connection. Click on the Close button to close Pulse Secure. Note that this will leave Pulse Secure running in the background, but it will not be connected to JMU’s network. If you want to completely close out of Pulse Secure, click on the icon in the taskbar and select Exit.
Removing Pulse Secure
- Open Finder and click on the Applications (probably under Favorites).
- Scroll down until you find Pulse Secure.
- Right click on the row and select Move to Trash. Your system may request that you enter your admin login and password, if you have one.
- If you think that you will be using Pulse Secure again in the future, you may wish to save your configuration files so you don’t have to setup the JMU connection again. If so, click Yes when prompted to Save Pulse Secure configuration. Otherwise, click No.
- Click Ok to confirm that the uninstallation is complete.