What was the Flowerings Project Phase 1?
The Flowerings Project: a Library in Transformation (2019-2021) was funded by a generous $150,000 planning grant to James Madison University (the Furious Flower Poetry Center and JMU Libraries) from the Mellon Foundation. The project’s white paper will be available during or before March, 2022. This grant enabled the development of a partnership model for digital library support of a living center for Black poetry. We are deeply grateful to our partners and advisors for their support of Phase 1, and look forward to continued friendship and collaboration as mutual interests may unfold. Information on Flowerings Phase 2 (2022-2026) can be found on its project page.
Areas of Focus
Our initial proposal to the Mellon Foundation outlined nine Key Areas of inquiry. Our deliverable (to be published in 2022) will be an open access publication outlining the partners’ goals, process, experience and preliminary outcomes, not just for the benefit of JMU but also for other university libraries, digital humanities centers and campus educational technology providers who wish to partner more authentically and equitably with collaborating organizations and communities.
Learn More About
- Our partners and advisors
- Innovating the Archives
- Furious Flower Poetry Center
- Furious Flower Inaugural Conference – prototype of digital archive
Related Collections in JMU Libraries
- Joanne V. Gabbin Papers – a guide to the collection from JMU Libraries Special Collections
- The Furious Flower Poetry Center Records, 1990-2014
- Furious Flower Poetry Center Conference Records
- Furious Flower Poetry Center Video Collection (1994 and 2004) – JMU Scholarly Commons
Contact Jody Fagan, project manager (email@example.com)
Mellon Award #: 1909-07155