What do I do if JMU Library Catalog isn't working?|
If JMU Library Catalog is unavailable, in the meantime, you can use Quick Search or WorldCat as follows:
For Quick Search:
1. From the JMU Library homepage used the Quick Search search widget in the center of the page.
2. If you are not on the JMU network or enabled for off-campus access you can still search the library catalog as a guest user.
3. Change the search option "Articles, Books, & more" to "JMU Library Catalog".
4. From the Quick Search advanced search screen check the box next to JMU Catalog only.
1. Go to WorldCat. You must be on the JMU network or have enabled your computer for off-campus access to use WorldCat.
2. Type in search terms, and near the bottom of the form, check the box for "Limit availability to match any of the following Items in my library (VMC, JAMES MADISON UNIV)."
3. Click on a desired title in the results display to get the call number, which is labeled "Class Descriptors:" and look for the LC call number.
Example: LC PS372
Please note that the call numbers in WorldCat may not exactly match JMU's call number. For example, the example call number above is found at JMU under PS372.M4. However, it should get you fairly close.
4. Look up the call number up on our Call Number and Location Guide to determine the location of that call number in the libraries.
WorldCat is a catalog to over 62 million titles cataloged by libraries worldwide, including JMU.
Information about JMU's books, journals, and other items is not quite as up-to-date in WorldCat.
This page last reviewed by David Gaines on 12/04/2015.