Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27, A.F. and A.M. Collection, 1847-1905
Repository: Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
Title: Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27, A.F. and A.M. Collection, 1847-1905
Collection No.: SC 4052
Extent: 13 folders; 1 flat box; 1 flat box; 13 folders
Abstract: The collection consists of photocopies [and digital images] of materials removed from the cornerstone of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27 located at 114 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, on November 28, 2006.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
Use Restrictions: The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27, A.F. and A.M. Collection, SC 4052, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Acquisition Information: Gift of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27 A.F. and A.M., December 2006.
Alternate Formats: Oversized items are available digitally.
Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27 was charted on October 29, 1789. Many original lodge members had had Masonic roots in England, Ireland, and Scotland prior to the establishment of a Grand Lodge in the United States. In 1777, delegates from several lodges in Virginia met to discuss establishing a Grand Lodge in the United States. As a result, the Grand Lodge of Virginia thus became the first Grand Lodge of Masonry in North America.
The first meeting place was reputedly at the residence of William Cravens, although there is some question as to whether Cravens ever actually owned a home in Harrisonburg. Some time after Cravens' death in 1793, there was talk of constructing a Masonic Temple. In 1795 a building committee was appointed to take charge of this task. A lot was purchased at the corner of Federal Alley and East Market Street and constructed soon thereafter. The first meeting at the new Masonic Temple, also known as Mason's Hall, was held on July 14, 1796.
By 1860 membership had grown enough to warrant a new temple. In February of that year, an agreement was made to exchange lots with D.H. Gambill, who owned property across East Market Street known as the Old Stone Church, with the stipulation that the Lodge had would occupy the upper floors of their original building for twelve months. However, the Lodge had the opportunity to purchase a lot from Thomas Yancey a few days later at the corner of South Main and Water Street for six hundred dollars. The Old Stone Church property was advertised for sale, and sold in 1865 to J.R. Jones for eight hundred dollars. On July 4, 1860, a ceremony documenting the laying of the new cornerstone was held, and several items were sealed within it. On April 6, 1861, the new building was dedicated and available for use.
On December 5, 1892, with expansion in mind, the Lodge purchased the lot across the street, occupied by the Revere Hotel. Membership continued to grow, so by 1903 plans were made to demolish the hotel and construct a new temple on the hotel site, the cost of which was $18,000. The cornerstone from the old temple was opened and the contents removed. On September 5, 1905, during a ceremony for the laying of the new cornerstone, more items were added to the original collection and sealed. On December 27, 1906, the new temple at 114 South Main Street was ready to occupy.
On October 28, 2006, the cornerstone of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27 was opened during renovations of the century-old building. A public banquet was held on December 4, 2006, during which the cornerstone's contents were displayed. Graciously, the Lodge gave permission to allow the contents to be photocopied [and scanned] for research use. As of December 2006, the Lodge had not yet determined whether the original contents will be returned to the cornerstone after renovations are complete.
Scope and Content:
The Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27 A.F. and A.M. Collection consists of photocopies of items removed from an 8"x 10"x 6" copper plated box in the cornerstone of the Masonic Temple at 114 S. Main Street in Harrisonburg, Virginia on November 28, 2006. The collection is housed in thirteen folders within an oversized flat box and is arranged in four series: Documents, Pamphlets and Small Publications, Ephemera, and Oversized Items.
Documents includes photocopies of handwritten or typed lists of items to have been included in the cornerstone in 1860 and 1905, as well as a program, speech, and lists of officers, Lodge members, and members of the Ladies Masonic Association.
Pamphlets and Small Publications contains photocopies of printed by-laws of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27 and the Royal Arch Chapter No. 6, addresses, and programs pertaining to the Lodge's centennial in 1889, the laying of the cornerstone of the Lodge in 1905 as well as for the cornerstone of the Rockingham County Court House in 1896.
Ephemera contains photocopies of items that Lodge members deemed interesting to include in the cornerstone: coins and currency, blank membership forms, a calendar, and other items of interest.
Oversized Items [see digital images] primarily consists of several pieced photocopies of newspapers from 1860, 1905, and 1906, some of which are quite rare. The issues of the Virginia Citizen, Valley Democrat, Spirt of the Valley, and Harrisonburg Free Press may be the only extant issues for those dates. The September 6, 1905 editions of the Harrisonburg Daily News were found on top of the copper box in the cornerstone, as the box was sealed on September 5th. The series also includes pieced photocopies of a remarkable 20"x 37" broadside advertising the laying of the 1860 cornerstone.
The cornerstone also contained seven publications that were retained by Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27 and not photocopied. A list of those publications is at the end of the contents list.
The collection is arranged and described at the item level. The Documents and Pamphlets
and Small Publications series are arranged alphabetically in subfolders within their
respective folders. Ephemera are arranged alphabetically within one folder. Oversized
Items are arranged alphabetically within separate folders.
Bulluck, Steven C. Revolutionary Brotherhood: Freemasonry and the Transformation of
the American Social Order, 1730-1840. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press,
Mellott, Jeff. Building on a Rock: Masons Keep Temple, Tenents Firmly Grounded.Daily
News Record (Harrisonburg). November 29, 2006. pp. A1, A5.
Rockingham Union Masonic Lodge Celebrates Anniversary, 1789-1989. Published as supplement
to 10/27/1989 issue of Harrisonburg Daily News Record. Carrier Library Special Collections.
Rutyna, Richard and Peter Stewart. The History of Freemasonry in Virginia. Lanham,
MD: University Press of America, 1998.
Wilton, J. Historical Sketch of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27, A.F. and A.M., Harrisonburg,
Virginia. October, 1889.
Series 1: Documents, undated
Box : Folder
|List of Articles deposited in this Corner Stone of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27..., 7/4/1860|
|List of Articles Deposited in the Corner Stone of Masonic Temple, 9/5/1905|
|List of Names of Ladies who composed the Ladies Masonic Association..., 7/4/1860|
|List of Officers and members of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27., undated|
|Masonic Oration, at the Laying of the Corner Stone of the Masonic Temple., 7/4/1860|
|Officers and Members of Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27..., 9/5/1905|
|Programme for September 5, 1905 at laying of Corner Stone to Masonic Temple, undated|
Series 1: Pamphlets and Small Publications, undated
Box : Folder
|Address of Judge Paul, delivered at the Laying of the Corner Stone of the Rockingham County Court House..., 10/15/1896|
|By-Laws for the Government of the Rockingham Union Lodge, No. 27...(Harrisonburg: J.H. Wartmann and Bros., 1847), 1847|
|By-Laws of Rockingham Union Lodge, No. 27... (Harrisonburg: Register Steam Job Print, 1889), 1889|
|By-Laws of Rockingham Royal Arch Chapter, No. 6. 1879, 1879|
|By-Laws of Rockingham Royal Arch Chapter, No. 6, undated|
|Ceremonies and Program for Laying the Corner Stone of Temple of Rockingham Union Lodge..., 9/5/1905|
|Historical Sketch of Rockingham Union Lodge, No. 27, 10/29/1889|
|The History and Principles of Free Masonry. An Address Delivered before Valley Royal Arch School..., 7/9/1905|
|Prize List. Rockingham Horse and Colt Show Association., August 15-17, 1905|
|Programme of the Laying of the Corner Stone of the Rockingham County Court House...by Rockingham Union Lodge No. 27, A.F. and A.M., 10/15/1896|
|Record of the Valley Royal Arch School of Instruction., 7/13/1904|
Series 1: Ephemera, undated
Box : Folder
|Calendar, Harrisonburg 1905, 1905|
|Subseries: Coins and Currency, 1853-1902, undated|
|1853 one dollar gold coin, 1853|
|1857 silver half-dime, 1857|
|1858 silver half-dollar, 1858|
|1858 flying eagle one cent piece, 1858|
|1858 silver three cent piece, 1858|
|1859 silver quarter dollar, 1859|
|1860 silver dime, 1860|
|1861 gold-plated one cent piece, 1861|
|1899 copper one cent piece, 1899|
|1900 French copper 10 centime piece, on fob of Thomas L. Williamson, 1900|
|1902 five cent piece, 1902|
|Undated three cent piece, undated|
|Confederate Currency: $100, $50, $20, $5 (1863), $5 (1864), $10, undated|
|First National Bank of Harrisonburg Condensed Report to the Comptroller, 8/25/1905|
|Membership forms [blank, listed below], ca. 1890 - ca. 1905|
|Newspaper clipping used to wrap coins, undated|
|Newspaper clipping re laying of cornerstone, ca. 1905|
|Subseries: Tickets, September 5, 1905, undated|
|Ladies' Masonic Dinner Ticket, undated|
|The Kavanuagh, 9/5/1905|
|Rockingham Royal Arch Chapter No. 6, Public Installation of Officers Elect,, 7/25/1904|
Series 1: Oversized Items, 1860-1905
[see digital images]
Box : Folder
|Broadside: Grand Masonic, Military, and Civic Celebration!, 7/4/1860||
|Subseries: Harrisonburg Daily News, undated|
|Harrisonburg Free Press, 8/31/1905||
|Rockingham Register, 9/5/1905||
|Rockingham Register and Advertiser, 6/29/1860||
|Spirit of the Valley, 9/1/1905||
|Valley Democrat, 6/29/1860||
|Virginia Citizen, 6/29/1860||
: List of Publications [not included in photocopied collection], undated
Box : Folder
|The Daily Scripture Expositor...(New York: American Tract Society, 1840), 1840|
|The Holy Bible...(New York: American Bible Society, 1858), 1858|
|Proceedings of the 127th Grand Annual Communication of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Virginia...(Richmond: Wm. Ellis Jones, 1905), 1905|
|Proceedings of the Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons of Virginia. (Petersburg: Frank A. Owen, 1904), 1904|
|Proceedings of the Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of Virginia.(Petersburg: Frank A. Owen, 1904), 1904|
|Proceedings of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Virginia... (Richmond: James E. Goode, 1859), 1859|
|Proceedings of an Occasional Grand Lodge of Va... (Richmond: Chas. H. Wynne, 1859), 1859|
Compiled by: Julia Merkel and Tracy Harter