Bowman, Sam Papers, 1848-1967
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Bowman family
- Sam Bowman Papers
- Collection No.:
- SC 0147
- 2 boxes, .51 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Sam Bowman Papers, 1848-1967, consist of miscellaneous materials and seven business ledgers that document operations of the Bowman family dairy farm in Rockingham County, Virginia.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Sam Bowman Papers, 1848-1967, SC 0147, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
The Bowman family is a very prominent one that has been established in the Rockingham County area since the eighteenth century. The first of the Bowmans to settle in the area was George Bowman and his wife Mary Hite, who traveled from Philadelphia with her family to start a colony in the Shenandoah Valley around 1731. George and Mary had thirteen children in total: John George, John Jacob, Emma Maria, Elizabeth, Johannes, Sarah, Regina, Rebecca, George, Abraham, Joseph, Catherine, and Isaac. They made their home on Cedar Creek and built a large stone house which was passed to their son Isaac. John, Joseph, Abraham, and Isaac went on to become prominent members of society and in the military during the Revolutionary War, in which they were high ranking officers that contributed greatly to the fight for independence.
Scope and Content
The Sam Bowman Papers, 1848-1967, consists of one folder of miscellaneous papers and seven business ledgers that document operations of the Bowman family dairy farm in Rockingham County, Virginia. The miscellaneous folder contains tax receipts from 1859 and 1865, an 1862 receipt for military supplies of twenty bushels of corn, an 1882 Constitution of the West Rockingham Mutual Fire Insurance Company, an 1891 receipt for a claim for property taken by U.S. soldiers in the Civil War, a 1929 timber contract, 1942 Certificates of War necessity for Vehicle, and a summary of the S.R. Bowman Estate, 1936-1960. Ledger 7 is the partnership book of R.L. and S.R. Bowman, 1963-1967.
The collection is arranged chronologically.
PUBLIC "-//James Madison University::Carrier Library::Special Collections//TEXT (US::ViHarT::vihart00010::Sam Bowman Papers)//EN" "vihart000010.xml" converted from EAD 1.0 to 2002 by v1to02.xsl (sy2003-10-15).converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xslConverted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl.Revised by Alicia Henneberry Feb 19, 2004Feb 25, 20042013-11-21October 2013
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This collection was donated to Special Collections in April 1999 by Sam Bowman.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 3092.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Equipment and supplies
- Bowman, Sam
- Bowman family
- West Rockingham Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Constitution
- Farmers -- Virginia
- Business records -- Sources
- Dairy farming -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Agriculture -- Virginia -- History
- Selling -- Corn
- Timber -- Contracts and specifications -- Virginia
- Lumber trade -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Economic aspects -- United States
- Military supplies -- Economic aspects -- United States
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia -- Sources
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Social life and customs
- Virginia -- History
- Virginia -- Social life and customs
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- Genealogy
- Virginia -- Genealogy
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Confiscations and contributions
- United States -- History -- World War, 1939-1945 -- Transportation
Wayland, John W. The Bowmans: A Pioneering Family in Virginia, Kentucky and the Northwest Territory. Staunton, Va.: McClure Co. 1943.
|Miscellaneous, 1859-1960||box 1||folder 1|
|Ledger 1, 1848-1857||box 1||folder 2|
|Ledger 2, 1941-1947||box 1||folder 3|
|Ledger 3, 1947-1952||box 1||folder 4|
|Ledger 4, 1953-1957||box 1||folder 5|
|Ledger 5, 1958-1959||box 1||folder 6|
|Ledger 6, 1960-1967||box 1||folder 7|
|Ledger 7, 1963-1967||box 2||folder 1|