Breen, Virginia Wise Collection of Flook Family Papers, 1842-1863
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Flook Family
- Virginia Wise Breen Collection of Flook Family Papers
- Collection No.:
- SC 0104
- 1 folder, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- This collection contains one 1861 letter from M.H. Flook, one 1863 certificate of discharge for W. Christian Flook, and one 1842 letter from Caswell Freeman. Collection contains both transcriptions and originals.
[Identification of item], [box #, folder #], Virginia Wise Breen Collection Collection of Flook Family Papers, SC 0104, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Both letters were written by members of the Flook family, and the donor is a relative. The first letter, dated 1842, was written by David Flook and concerns the price of cattle in Tennessee. The 1861 letter between brothers Michael Harvey Flook and William Christian Flook, discusses the selection of substitute soldiers and describes action involving Confederate Generals Wise and Floyd in the Kanawha Valley. The home of both brothers was in Rockingham County, Virginia.
Scope and Content
This collection contains three items. There are two letters: one dated 1842 to David Flook from Caswell Freeman in Jacksborough, Tennessee, concerning the price of cattle; and one dated September 3, 1861 from M. H. Flook at Camp Guin to his brother. This letter discusses the selection of substitute soldiers and describes action involving Confederate generals Wise and Floyd in the Kanawha Valley. Attached to the 1861 letter is an 1863 certificate from Rockingham County exempting William Christian Flook from military duty for having furnished Jos. B. Breen as a substitute in 1861. Both letters have been transcribed.
The documents are arranged chronologically in one folder.
converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xslConverted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl.Edited by Kayla Payne Feb 25, 20042013-11-21June 2012
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Donated to JMU Special Collections by Mrs. Virginia Wise Breen in January 1990.
Other Formats Available
Transcriptions of both letters are included in the collection.
Donor was given original documents of the Civil War period concerning her grandfather and his brother, her great-uncle.
The September 3, 1861 letter and the January 24, 1863 discharge certificate were previously laminated. In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 2084.
Genre and Form
- Letters (correspondence)
- Freeman, Caswell -- Correspondence
- Flook, M. H. -- Correspondence
- Breen, Joseph B
- Flook, W. Christian
- Wise, John S., (John Sergeant), 1846-1913
- Floyd, John B., (John Buchanan), 1807-1863
- Breen family
- Flook family
- Confederate States of America. Army -- Recruiting, enlistment, etc
- Kanawha Valley Campaign, 1861-1862
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- West Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
|Virginia Wise Breen Collection of Flook Family Papers, 1842-1863||box 1||folder 1|