Chalker, Oliver H. Collection of Wommack Family Letters, 1864.
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Wommack Family
- Oliver H. Chalker Collection of Wommack Family Letters
- Collection No.:
- SC 0102
- 1 folder, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- Two letters written by Jim Wommack and R. A. Wommack respectively. One letter was transcribed by the donor and the other transcribed by library staff.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Oliver H. Chalker Collection of Wommack Family Letters, 1864, SC 0102, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
These letters were written during the Civil War, in 1864, by Confederate soldiers Jim Wommack and R. A. Wommack.
Scope and Content
This collection contains two letters: one dated March 8, 1864, from "Camp near Orange C. H., Va." signed "Jim Wommack" and addressed "Dear Mother and Father;" the second letter is dated November 26, 1864, from Camp Ramsaur, signed "R. A. Wommack" and addressed to "John Mikel, Esq. Dear Father." This second letter has an envelope addressed to "John Mikel, Esq., Clemmonsville, Davidson Coun[ty], N.C." Also included are a transcript of the first letter, provided by the donor, and a transcript of the second letter created by library staff.
Letters are arranged chronologically within the folder. The original envelope of the second letter is also included.
converted to conform to eadVIVA.dtd by vivastrict.xslConverted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl.Edited by Kayla Payne Feb 25, 20042013-11-21June 2012
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mr. Oliver H. Chalker donated these items in February 1989.
Other Formats Available
Transcriptions of both letters are included in the collection.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 2082.
Genre and Form
- Letters (correspondence)
- Oliver H. Chalker
- Wommack, Jim -- Correspondence
- Wommack, R. A. -- Correspondence
- Womack family
- Orange Courthouse (Va.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Camp Ramsaur (Lacey Spring, Va.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- Lacey Spring (Va.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Destruction and pillage
|Oliver H. Chalker Collection of Wommack Family Letters, 1864||box 1||folder 1|