Clatterbuck, Debra S. Collection of Michael Henkle Estate Records, 1861, 1866.
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Henkle, Evan
- Debra S. Clatterbuck Collection of Michael Henkle Estate Records
- Collection No.:
- SC 0103
- 1861, 1866
- 1 folder, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- Photocopies of documents related to the settling of Michael Henkle's estate in Pendleton County, dating to 1861 and 1866.
[Identification of item], [box #, folder #], Debra S. Clatterbuck Collection of Michael Henkle Estate Records, 1861, 1866, SC 0103, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
The conditions of sale documents in this collection are signed by Evan Henkle, the executor of Michael Henkle's estate.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of photocopies of three documents relevant to the settling of the estate of Michael Henkle of Pendleton County. Two documents date from 1861: one specifies the monetary conditions for the sale of Henkle's belongings, the other for the sale of Henkle's slaves. The third document, dated 1866, is a receipt from the Pendleton County clerk apparently to settle the estate record.
The facsimilies are arranged chronologically in one folder.
Converted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl.Edited by Kayla Payne 2013-11-21June 2012
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Donated by Debra S. Clatterbuck on October 31, 2001.
Debra S. Clatterbuck signed a depository agreement November 11, 1989; that agreement was terminated October 31, 2001, with photocopies of the original documents remaining at the library.
After termination of depository agreement at the request of the donor, the library photocopied the documents and returned the original items to the owner. In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 2083.
Location of Originals
Original documents are retained by the donor.
Genre and Form
- Estate records
- Henkle, Michael
- Henkel family
- Inheritance and succession -- West Virginia -- 19th century
- Slavery -- West Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Slaveholders -- West Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Pendleton County (W. Va.) -- Genealogy -- Sources
- Pendleton County (W. Va.) -- History -- Sources
- Pendleton County (W. Va.) -- Social life and customs
- West Virginia -- History -- 19th century -- Sources
- West Virginia -- History, Local -- Sources
|Debra S. Clatterbuck Collection of Michael Henkle Estate Records, 1861, 1866||box 1||folder 1|