Glick, Edward M. Papers, 1951-1988
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Glick, Edward M., 1920-2008
- Edward M. Glick Papers
- Collection No.:
- SC 0141
- 2 folders, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Edward M. Glick Papers contain primarily rough and final drafts of speeches written by Edward Glick, which were delivered between 1951 and 1960 by members of the Truman and Eisenhower presidential administrations.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Edward M. Glick Papers, 1951-1988, SC 0141, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Edward Glick (1920-2008) drafted speeches for members of the Truman and Eisenhower administrations. In 1960, Glick bought property in the Stanley area of Page County. After he retired there in the 1970s, he wrote editorial columns for Harrisonburg's newspaper, the Daily News-Record.
Scope and Content
The Edward M. Glick Papers contains primarily rough and final drafts of speeches written by Edward Glick, which were delivered between 1951 and 1960 by members of the Truman and Eisenhower presidential administrations. This collection consists of four final drafts and fourteen published texts of speeches drafted by Glick. Texts include: opening speech to the Democratic national campaign (1960), given by then Senator Lyndon B. Johnson; "Morals and power" speech given by Secretary of State John F. Dulles to the graduating class of the National War College (1953); and other speeches by various ambassadors and Congressmen. "In most cases," wrote Glick concerning this collection, "the speech texts were the product of discussion between the speaker and the writer." Also included in the collection are two books written or edited by Edward Glick - The new methodology: a study of political strategy and tactics. Washington, D.C.: American Institute for Political Communication, 1967 and American politics in a complex world, a collection of political commentaries, Harrisonburg, VA: Rockingham Pub. Co., 1988.
The collection is arranged topically in two folders.
Edited by Kayla PayneConverted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl. July 20122013-11-21
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Donated by Edward Glick in May 1997.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 3070.
Location of Originals
Select final drafts were donated to the National Archives.
- Glick, Edward M.
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973 -- Oratory
- Dulles, John Foster, 1888-1959 -- Oratory
- Speechwriters -- United States -- Biography
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American -- 20th century -- Sources
- Speeches, addresses, etc. -- Sources
- Communication in politics -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- Mass media -- Political aspects -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Presidents -- United States -- History
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1960
- Ambassadors -- United States -- Oratory
- World politics -- 1945-1955
- World politics -- 1955-1965
- Political ethics
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1953-1961
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1953
|Speeches, 1951-1960||box 1||folder 1|
|Books, 1967, 1988||box 1||folder 2|