Milling Company Ledger, 1891
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Milling Company Ledger
- Collection No.:
- SC 0116
- 1 bound ledger
- Language of the Material:
- A ledger for a presumed and unidentified milling company in Woodstock, Virginia. Entries in the ledger date from March 31, 1891 to December 10, 1891.
[Identification of item]. [box #, folder #], Milling Company Ledger, SC 0116, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
As the ledger documents the business transactions of an unidentified company in Woodstock, Virginia, a bio/historical note is not applicable.
Scope and Content
The Milling Company Ledger, 1891, is comprised of one bound ledger and includes daily entries for a presumed and unidentified milling company in Woodstock, Virginia. The entries date from March 31, 1891 to December 10, 1891 and list transactions with other businesses and individuals. Recurrent surnames in the ledger include Hottel, Brill, Baker, Hite, Sager, Minnick, and Magruder. Entries generally reference "elect," "bran," "champ," "fert," "coal," and other terms. The ledger also includes occasional references to a "Mill no. 1" and a "Mill no. 2."
The ledger is housed in an oversize box.
The collection is open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Purchased from Bookworm & Silverfish of Wytheville, Virginia in February 1998.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 2081.
Genre and Form
- Ledgers (account books)
- Mills and mill-work -- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Flour mills -- Virginia -- Shenandoah County
- Flour industry -- Virginia -- Shenandoah County
- Grain trade -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Fertilizers -- Virginia -- Shenandoah County
- Woodstock (Va.) -- Industries -- 19th century
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
|Milling Company Ledger, 1891||box OV 1|