New Market Store Ledger, 1879-1891
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- New Market Store Ledger
- Collection No.:
- SC 0149
- 1 folder, .26 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The New Market Store Ledger, 1879-1891, is comprised of one bound ledger documenting the business transactions of a New Market Virginia general store or similar enterprise.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], New Market Store Ledger, 1879-1891, SC 0149, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
The business(es) for which this ledger documents is unnamed.
Scope and Content
The New Market Store Ledger, 1879-1891, is comprised of one bound ledger documenting the business transactions of a New Market Virginia general store or similar enterprise. Entries include sundry foodstuffs (butter, oranges, crackers, vinegar, coffee, produce, and eggs) and miscellaneous merchandise (corset stays, pearl buttons, shoes, plug tobacco, coal oil, and paper pins). Patrons of the store are listed with their respective account information with items purchased and the date of the purchase. Patrons are numerous and include John P. Brock, David Neff, Albert Zirkle, Philo Bradley, Joseph Crist, Perry Funkhouser, Thomas Estep, George A. Moffett, and Solon Henkel & Bro. Notes in the book also make reference to "New Market Wagon Works." Related merchandise includes wood, lumber, load wood, and wagons.
The ledger is housed in one folder.
Converted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl. 2013-11-21
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This collection was purchased by Special Collections in September 1998 from Paper Treasures Book Store and Gallery in New Market, Virginia. Funding was provided by Friends of Carrier Library.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 3094.
Genre and Form
- Account books
- New Market Wagon Works (Va.)
- Account books -- Sources
- Business records -- Sources
- General stores -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Produce trade -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Farm supply industries -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Carriage and wagon making -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- New Market (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- New Market (Va.) -- Industries -- 19th century
|New Market Store Ledger, 1879-1891||box 1||folder 1|