Peterson, Emilyn Papers, 1929-2002 (bulk 1929-1933) *JMU Alum Papers*
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Peterson, Emilyn
- Emilyn Peterson Papers, 1929-2002, bulk 1929-1933
- Collection No.:
- SC 0009
- 1929-2002 (bulk 1929-1933)
- 5 legal folders, .1 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Emily Peterson Papers, 1929-2002, bulk 1929-1933, consists of five folders (in one half-Hollinger box) of materials relating to Peterson's time as a student at the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg. Included are academic and athletic materials, memorabilia and ephemera, tickets to sporting and theatrical events, and newspaper clippings from The Breeze.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Emilyn Peterson Papers, 1929-2002, bulk 1929-1933, SC 0009, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Emilyn "Pete" Peterson of Lake City, Florida attended the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg from 1929 to 1933. She was a member of the Class of 1933 and graduated with a degree in High School Education. Peterson was active in athletics and extracurricular activities while at the State Teachers College. Her accolades and involvements include: Business Manager and President of the Athletic Association, Varsity Swimming (1930-1933), Page Literary Society, Junior Marshal, Class Basketball Sport Leader, Class Basketball Team (1930-1933), Varsity Hockey and Basketball Squads, Athletic Council, Student Council, Assistant Business Manager of The Breeze, Class Swimming Sport Leader (1931), and Y.W.C.A.
Scope and Content
The Emily Peterson Papers, 1929-2002, bulk 1929-1933, consist of five folders (in one half-Hollinger box) of materials relating to Peterson's time as a student at the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg. Materials include Peterson's tuition and fees receipt dated January 23, 1930 and her program cards for the first three quarters of academic year 1929-1930. Additionally, Peterson's varsity letter award for swimming (1930) is included. Various tickets to sporting and theatrical events are contained within the papers. A 2002 business card for the Marching Royal Dukes is included. Loose pages from an autograph book contain the names, addresses, and sentiments of Peterson's State Teachers College classmates. Many of them refer to her as "Pete," her nickname. Newspaper clippings from The Breeze document Peterson's basketball accomplishments and also include a column of "Tom Says." Lastly, Peterson's collection of local college pennants and letterhead is included. Southern College (Lakeland, Florida), Greensboro College (North Carolina), University of Virginia, Virginia Military Institute, Savage School for Physical Education (New York, New York), Georgia Military Academy, and the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg are all represented. A Madison College pennant is also included.
Arranged topically into five folders and filed in chronological order.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact that Special Collection Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Donated to Special Collections by Morris Williams on June 25, 2001.
Genre and Form
- Autograph albums
- Cards (information artifacts)
- Business cards
- Newspaper clippings
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Alumni and alumnae
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students -- Social life and customs
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Sports
- James Madison University -- Students -- History
The Schoolma'am, 1933. Harrisonburg (Va.): State Teachers College.
|Academic and Athletic Materials, 1929-1930||box 1||folder 1|
|The Breeze clippings, 1929-1931||box 1||folder 2|
|Tickets and Cards, 1929-2002||box 1||folder 3|
|Autograph Pages, 1930s||box 1||folder 4|
|Pennants and Letterhead, undated||box 1||folder 5|