Brooks, Ruth Hall Photographs, 1943-1945 *JMU Alum Papers*
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Brooks, Ruth Eileen Hall
- Ruth Hall Brooks Photographs
- Collection No.:
- SC 0058
- 1 letter folder, .06 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Ruth Hall Brooks Photographs, 1943-1945, are comprised of three black-and-white photographs of Madison College and include one view of Wilson Hall in the snow and two photographs of students.
[Identification of item], [box #, folder #], Ruth Hall Brooks Photographs, 1943-1945, SC 0058, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Ruth Eileen Hall Brooks of Audubon, New Jersey matriculated into Madison College during the 1943-1944 academic term as a freshman. She attended Madison for just one year and was a member of the Glee Club.
Scope and Content
The Ruth Hall Brooks Photographs, 1943-1945, are comprised of three black-and-white photographs of Madison College and include one view of Wilson Hall in the snow and two photographs of students. According to Brooks' letter that accompanied the donation, the photographs date to 1943-1944 and 1945, when she returned to Madison for a visit. Brooks provided the following detailed descriptions for each photo:
1. Mr. Roberts, the college guard, talking to Jean and (?) – two newspaper volunteers, 1943-1945 2. Deep snow and Wilson Hall, where I had two classes, 1943-1944 3. Madison College (Kissing Rock) 1943, with dorm-mates (L to R) Betsy Fugate, "Bucky" Rodgers, Martha Hatchett, June King (?), Ruth E. Hall, Bonnie (?) Her father was Pres. of Rhodes College
The photographs are housed in one letter folder.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ruth Hall Brooks sent these photographs to Ashley Privott, Executive Director of the JMU Alumni Association, in June 2013. The photographs were subsequently transferred to Special Collections.
Genre and Form
- Black-and-white photographs
- Madison College -- History
- Madison College -- Alumni and alumnae
- Madison College -- Students
- Madison College -- Buildings
- James Madison University -- History
- Education, Higher -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg -- History
- Universities and colleges -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg -- History
- Harrisonburg (Va.) -- History
The Schoolma'am, 1944. Harrisonburg (Va.): Madison College.
|Ruth Hall Brooks Photographs, 1943-1945||box 1||folder 1|