Jones, Nathan L. Scrapbook, 1922-1974
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Virginia Department of Highways and Transportation
- Nathan L. Jones Scrapbook
- Collection No.:
- SC 0127
- 1 scrapbook, .3 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Nathan L. Jones Scrapbook, 1922-1974, consists of photographs, drawings, letters, and legal documents pertaining to the life and experiences of Nathan L. Jones, retired district highway equipment superintendent of the Virginia Department of Highways and Transportation.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Nathan L. Jones Scrapbook, 1922-1974, SC 0127, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Nathan Leigh Jones (1907-1989), a native of Smithfield, Virginia, served the Commonwealth of Virginia for more than five decades with the Department of Highways and Transportation. Jones began his career in 1923 as a member of a road construction crew in the Suffolk District. In 1928, he was promoted to a mechanic in the Suffolk shop. After marrying Della Marion Stidley in 1937, Jones was assigned to the Staunton District where he dedicated the remainder of his professional career. The only interruption to Jones' service with the Department of Highways and Transportation came in 1942 when he joined the Army; he served for three years. Jones retired in 1974, after 51 years of service, as district highway equipment superintendent.
Scope and Content
The Nathan L. Jones Scrapbook, 1922-1974, is comprised of one bound scrapbook measuring 12 x 11 x 1 ½ inches. The scrapbook, compiled by Jones' colleagues at the Department of Highways and Transportation and presented to him upon his retirement, consists of photographs, drawings, congratulatory letters, and legal documents pertaining to the life and experiences of Nathan L. Jones. The scrapbook has a brown faux leather cover with Jones' name embossed on the front cover. The items in the scrapbook are placed on adhesive pages with clear plastic overlays. The contents are arranged in chronological order and chronicle the major events of Jones' life including adolescence, military service, and his career with the Department of Highways and Transportation.
The scrapbook is housed in one oversize Hollinger box. The scrapbook is bound and the contents remain in their original chronological order.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This collection was donated to Special Collections by Dale Harter in January 2009.
Genre and Form
- Letters (correspondence)
- Newspaper clippings
- Black-and-white photographs
- Color photographs
- Virginia. Department of Highways and Transportation
- Roads -- Virginia -- History
- Roads -- Virginia -- Maintenance and repair
- Roads -- Virginia -- Design and construction
- Transportation -- Virginia -- History
|Nathan L. Jones Scrapbook, 1922-1974||box 1||folder 1|