Recipe Book, 1855
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Recipe Book
- Collection No.:
- SC 0164
- 1 folder, .06 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- This collection consists of one notebook of handwritten recipes dated 1855, possibly originating in Rockingham County, Virginia, which contains recipes for a variety of foods, as well as a recipe for a homemade poultice and eau de toilette.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Recipe Book, 1855, SC 0164, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of one notebook of handwritten recipes dated 1855, possibly originating in Rockingham County, Virginia, which contains recipes for a variety of foods, as well as a recipe for a homemade poultice and eau de toilette.
The book documents mid-nineteenth century food and cooking practices and includes a variety of recipes for breads, puddings, cakes, preserves, pickles and other foods. Recipes for a poultice of wild indigo and rye hops, as well as eau de toilette made of alcohol and lemon oil are also included. Pasted into the front cover of the notebook is an article clipping entitled "Good Butter in Winter."
The recipe book is housed in a folder.
Revised by Tara MastrangeloConverted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl. September 20102013-11-21
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk. (email@example.com).
Purchased July 2002 from Green Valley Auctions, Inc., Mt. Crawford, Virginia.
The recipe book was part of the Lois Gaynor estate in Elkton, Virginia, which was auctioned in 2002.
Other Formats Available
The recipe book was digitized by JMU Digital Collections and transcribed Mark Purington, JMU Libraries staff. It is available online here: Recipe Book.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in 2017-2018. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 4035.
- Recipes -- Virginia -- handbooks, manuals, etc -- 19th century
- Cooking, American -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- 19th century
- Cooking, American -- Southern style
- Cooking, American -- Appalachian Region
- Food habits -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Virginia -- History, Local -- Sources
|Recipe Book, 1855||box 1||folder 1|