Rockingham County Legal Documents, 1866-1935
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Rockingham County Legal Documents
- Collection No.:
- SC 0167
- 1 folder, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- Consists of articles of agreement, deeds, surveys and wills, pertaining to the lease, sale, and transfer of farmland near Keezletown in Rockingham County, Virginia. Government seals are affixed to many of the deeds. Approximately two-thirds are handwritten.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Rockingham County Legal Documents, 1866-1935, SC 0167, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Scope and Content
Several common Shenandoah Valley names are featured in the documents, among them: Armentrout, Beery, Chapman, Dovel, Harrison, Liskey, Rinker, Rodgers, Sheets, Shifflet, Wise, and Yancey. Information on the practice of farming on shares may be found here. Land values may be determined by sale prices stated. For example, one 1871 deed indicates farmland sold for $20 per acre. An example of poor race relations is found in a 1915 deed that specifies that, "…the Grantee…will not seal or convey said lots to any person not of the Caucasian race." Area landmarks mentioned include Burtner's Mill, the Old Furnace, and the Mountain or Mountain Valley Road among others.
The documents are arranged chronologically in one folder.
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Purchased from Scott Suter in March 2005, who purchased them from the Nancy Garber materials sold earlier at Green Valley Auctions.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in 2017-2018. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 4039.
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 19th century
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 20th century
- Real property -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Wills -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Sources
- Land titles -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Keezletown (Va.) -- Surveys
- Keezletown (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Genealogy
|Rockingham County Legal Documents, 1866-1935||box 1||folder 1|