Shenandoah Valley Legal Documents, 1751-1968 (bulk 1901-1935)
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Shenandoah Valley Legal Documents
- Collection No.:
- SC 0176
- 1751-1968 (bulk 1901-1935)
- 1 box, .2 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The collection is comprised of 94 legal and tax related documents.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Shenandoah Valley Legal Documents, SC 0176, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Most of the documents pertain to the Riddle/Riddel family.
Scope and Content
This collection comprises 94 legal documents such as contracts, agreements, a will, letters from attorneys and primarily, copies of deeds from 1751-1968. Also included are several real estate tax receipts from the Plains District in Rockingham County dating from 1921-1935. Most of the documents pertain to the Riddle/Riddel family. One document that stands out is a 1908 injunction against 29 defendants for cutting timber without warrant. Series 1 contains all the aforementioned legal documents with the exception of the tax records which comprise Series 2.
The collection is arranged in to series: Legal documents, 1751-1968, and tax record receipts, 1921-1935.
Collection is open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Purchased from Scott Suter in October 2005.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in 2017-2018. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 4051.
- Plains District, Rockingham County (Va.) -- Records and correspondence
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 18th century
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 19th century
- Deeds -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- History -- 20th century
- Real property -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Wills -- Virginia -- Rockingham County
- Taxation -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Sources
- Land titles -- Virginia -- Rockingham County -- Sources
- Rockingham County (Va.) -- Genealogy -- Sources
Series 1: Legal Documents, 1751-1968
|Legal documents, 1751-1909||box 1||folder 1|
|Legal documents, 1911-1919||box 1||folder 2|
|Legal documents, 1920-1968||box 1||folder 3|
Series 2: Tax record receipts, 1921-1935
|Tax record receipts, 1921-1935||box 1||folder 4|