Mattie E. Mowry Farm Ledger, 1896-1926
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Mowry, Martha Elizabeth "Mattie" Fretwell, 1852-1924
- Mattie E. Mowry Farm Ledger
- Collection No.:
- SC 0245
- 2 folders, .1 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Mattie E. Mowry Farm Ledger, 1896-1926, includes 342 pages, of which, 213 pages are blank. Ledger begins with inventory following expense and sales trackers including grain, livestock, animal products, labor, bills, and miscellaneous. Inside the ledger were a large number of laid in papers that include calculations, personal notes, and tax statements. The back of the ledger includes multiple templates, tables, how-tos, rules, and remedies. The majority of the dates in the ledger are between 1896 and 1924, although there are some 1925 and 1926 dates.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Mattie E. Mowry Farm Ledger, 1896-1926, SC 0245, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Martha Elizabeth "Mattie" Fretwell Mowry (September 30, 1852 - July 16, 1924) was born to Franklin and Ann Catherine Fretwell in Augusta County, Virginia. Mattie married into an established family in Augusta County. She lived in New Hope in Augusta County with her husband, George Alexander Mowry, where they ran the Solitude farm. They had seven children, one of which died prior to 1900. George died in November 1900, leaving Martha a widow until her own death. According to George's obituary, he was connected with one of the large agricultural machine manufactories.
Scope and Content
The Mattie E. Mowry Farm Ledger, 1896-1926, that documents the Mowry farm "Solitude," includes 342 pages, of which, 213 pages are blank. Ledger begins with inventory following expense and sales trackers including grain, livestock, animal products, labor, bills, and miscellaneous. Many of the items record typical farm items such as eggs and butter but also included are records of hired labor and miscellaneous household expenses such as a bill for a hotel stay in Virginia.
Inside the ledger were a large number of laid in papers. They include calculations, personal notes, and tax statements. The papers comprise of the following companies and agencies: the Commonwealth of Virginia, Arm & Hammer, The International Tailoring Co., Augusta Farmers' Co-Operative Union, Humbert & Borden, Balers and Threshers, Harrisonburg City Produce Exchange, W.F Fretwell, Crawford and Wilberger, Knightly Milling Company, and Laurel Roller Mills. There is one loose paper that pertains to Alexander Mowry. Some of the papers are older than the official start of the ledger in 1896.
The back of the ledger includes multiple templates, tables, how-tos, rules, and remedies, such as facts for housekeepers and how to clean feathers. The majority of the dates used in the ledger are from 1896 till Mowry's death in 1924 although there are a couple of entries from 1925 and 1926. The creator of these entries is unknown.
The ledger and loose materials are arranged in two folders. The loose papers are arranged chronologically with any undated materials last.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Purchased from Black Swan Books in July 2017.
Loose papers inside the ledger have been removed and sorted chronologically in a separate folder.
Genre and Form
- Ledgers (account books)
- Account books
- Agriculture -- Virginia -- Augusta County -- 19th century
- Agriculture -- Virginia -- Augusta County -- 20th century
- Industries -- Virginia -- Augusta County -- Sources
- Augusta County (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- Sources
- Augusta County (Va.) -- History -- Sources
"United States Census, 1900," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MMFC-V7H : accessed 13 September 2017), Mattie E Mowry in household of George A Mowry, Middle River District (New Hope & Red Mills Precincts) New Hope town, Augusta, Virginia, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 26, sheet 12B, family 193, NARA microfilm publication T623 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1972.); FHL microfilm 1,241,700.
Find a Grave. Martha Elizabeth "Mattie" Fretwell Mowry Memorial # 58843263. (https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=58843263) Accessed September 13, 2017.
|Mattie E. Mowry Farm Ledger, 1896 – 1926||box 1||folder 1|
|Loose Papers, 1893 – 1926, undated||box 1||folder 2|