New Market Garden Club Papers, 1928-1942
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- New Market Garden Club
- New Market Garden Club Papers
- Collection No.:
- SC 0259
- 1 box, 2 folders, .52 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The New Market Garden Club Papers, 1928-1942, is comprised of a scrapbook, reports, newspaper clippings and programs that document the formation and activities of the club.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], New Market Garden Club Papers, 1928-1942, SC 0259, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
The New Market Garden Club started in January 1928 when Mrs. J.W. Boyer, president of the Shenandoah Garden Club, of Woodstock met with women from New Market, interested in forming a club. By March 5, 1928, the club had officially formed with twelve charter members and elected officers, with Mrs. A. A. Walden as the first president. The purpose of the club was "to promote the love and practice of amateur gardening, the culture of flowers, to encourage civic planting, protect wild flowers and birds, and encourage civic cleaning up." The club held monthly meetings. Members were required to participate in flower shows, and eventually the club included lectures and plant sales. Files also contain programs from the Luconacoa Garden Club "Spring Display of Flowers" for the years 1940-1942.
Scope and Content
The New Market Garden Club Papers, 1928-1942, is comprised of a scrapbook and ephemera, documenting the formation and activities of the New Market Garden Club. The scrapbook consists of newspaper clippings from 1929-1937, as well as several annual programs that document officers, membership and committee activities. Two letter folders contain additional programs, as well as a copy of the constitution and bylaws, and meeting minutes for 1929-1930.
The scrapbook is bound with loose pages. It is housed with two legal folders in an oversized box.
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
A catalog record created in 1994 indicates that the item was originally cataloged as a book with a call number SB453 .34 .V5 N4 Oversize.
Special Collection staff determined it necessary to reprocess item The scrapbook is bound with as a manuscript collection. loose pages and is in fragile condition.
Genre and Form
- Programs (documents)
- Newspaper clippings
- Membership lists
- Administrative reports
- New Market Garden Club (New Market, Va.)
- Gardens -- Virginia -- New Market
- Flower gardening -- Virginia -- New Market -- Societies, etc
- Flower arrangement -- Virginia -- New Market
- Flower shows -- Virginia -- New Market
- New Market (Va.) -- Societies, etc
- New Market (Va.) -- Social life and customs
- New Market (Va.) -- History -- Sources
|Scrapbook, 1928-1937||box OV1|
|Papers, 1929-1930||box OV1||folder 1|
|Programs, 1931-1942||box OV1||folder 2|