Class of 1913 Reunion Book, 1914-1935 *JMU Alum Papers*
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Wayland, John Walter, 1872-1962
- State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg, Class of 1913
- Class of 1913 Reunion Book
- Collection No.:
- SC 0267
- 1 box, .2 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Class of 1913 Reunion Book contains photographs, programs, and written entries regarding the activities and whereabouts of members of the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg graduating class of 1913, from 1914-1935.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Class of 1913 Reunion Book, 1914-1935, SC 0267 , Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
According to the first entry in the Reunion Book, several members of the 1913 graduating class met for a reunion at commencement in 1914, where they decided that the book should be "brought to Blue Stone Hill every year at commencement by some member of the class, and under each commencement date are to be recorded the signatures of all members of the class who are in attendance."
Scope and Content
The Class of 1913 Reunion Book contains photographs, programs, and written entries regarding the activities and whereabouts of members of the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg graduating class of 1913, from 1914-1935.
Several entries are written by Dr. John Wayland, honorary member of the class of 1913. The book also includes a copied a portion of a letter of reminiscences received from 1913 graduate, Mrs. Davis. The book contains photographs, including an image of alumnae in front of the Science Hall, now Maury (1914); two photographs of alumnae in from of Wayland's home (1915); photographs of alumnae under the "class tree" by Ashby Hall, at Harrison Hall, and at Maury Hall (1924); and photographs of members of the Wayland and Davis families at Walnut Hill (1924). Programs include the Class Day Exercises, June 10, 1913; a Class Day Talk by John Wayland; and the Commencement Exercise of the State Normal School, June 10, 1913 program, with a full listing of graduates.
Item remains bound and housed in a box.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
Copyright for Official University records is held by James Madison University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Item was present in cage at time of founding.
Records were formerly given the collection number SU 93-0331, Student Memorabilia and General.
An entry in the Class of 1913 Reunion Book by John W. Wayland on May 3, 1935, states that the book was entrusted to Alma Reiter, secretary to President Duke, and a member of the 1913 graduating class.
Genre and Form
- Programs (documents)
- State Normal and Industrial School for Women (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- State Normal and Industrial School for Women (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students
- State Normal and Industrial School for Women (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students -- Social life and customs
- James Madison University -- Students -- History
- Harrisonburg (Va.) -- History
|Class of 1913 Reunion Book, 1914-1935||box 1||folder 1|