Shenandoah County Preacher Travel Journal, 1858
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Shenandoah County Preacher Travel Journal
- Collection No.:
- SC 0269
- 2 folders, .16 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The collection contains a travel journal written by an unnamed preacher from New Market, Virginia, documenting travel to Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania in 1858, as well as a mill and plantation bill of sale.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Shenandoah County Preacher Travel Journal, 1858, SC 0269, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
The travel journal was written by an unnamed preacher from the New Market, Virginia area.
Scope and Content
The travel journal contains travel times, expenses, and scriptural information on the sermons given by an unnamed preacher from the New Market, Virginia area. The first entry was made on March 31, 1858, and the last entry was dated April 24, 1858. He traveled to Ohio (Dayton, Columbus, Xenia, Lima) and Middletown, Indiana, via Winchester, Virginia, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, etc. He began his trip with Isaac Zirkle and family. He stayed with Reverand P.J. Stinewalt in Lima, Ohio, Mr. Samuel Fry and George Miller in Middletown, Joseph Kimmel in Hagertown, Pennsylvania, and spent a night at the Wilkison Hotel in Middletown, Virginia.
The travel journal also includes a mill and plantation bill of sale to J.W. Rice, dated September 20, 1858, for a total price of $9000. It includes a down-payment price and payment schedule.
The book remains bound, and housed in a folder.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The journal is on deposit by contract from the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society.
The item was formerly called "Travel Journal, 1858," and assigned LC number BX8495.N48 1858. In May 2018 it was reprocessed as a manuscript collection.
- Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society
Genre and Form
- Travel writing
- Bills of sale
- Ohio -- Description and travel -- 19th century
- Clergy -- Travel -- Ohio
- Clergy -- Travel -- Virginia
- Clergy -- Travel -- Indiana
- Clergy -- Travel -- West Virginia
- Preaching -- Ohio -- 19th century
- Preaching -- Indiana -- 19th century
- Traveler's writings
- Bills of sale -- Virginia -- New Market
|Travel Journal, 1858||box 1||folder 1|
|Bill of Sale, 1858||box 1||folder 2|