Thomas, Harriet Shackelford Papers, 1964-1970 *JMU Alum Papers*
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Shackelford Thomas, Harriet (Harriet King Shackelford)
- Harriet Shackelford Thomas Papers
- Collection No.:
- SC 0270
- 1 folder, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Harriet Shackelford Papers, 1964-1970, are comprised of 30 photographs of Madison College students and campus scenes, as well as a letter written by Julie Fry regarding the Madison College Big Sister Little Sister program.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Harriet Shackelford Thomas Papers, 1964-1970, SC 0270, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Harriet King Shackelford, sometimes called "King" by her classmates, attended Madison College from 1964-1968, where she majored in elementary education and social science. At Madison College, she was involved with the Student Education Association, Sigma Phi Lambda, Diapason Club, Wesley Foundation, German Club, Kappa Delta Pi, and the Social Science Club. Shackelford married Madison College alum, Bertram Archie Smith in 1970.
Scope and Content
The collection is comprised of 30 photographs of Madison College students and campus life, taken from 1964-1970, as well as a letter regarding the Big Sister Little Sister program. Photographs show of graduation events in 1968, the interior and exterior of Gifford Hall and Spotswood Hall, among other buildings. Named Madison students include Susan Grisanti, Janet Johnson, Donna Higgins, Linda Fitzgerald, Julie Fry (Big Sis), Carol McClanahan, Dolores Scarce, Faye Mitchell, Ellen Elliot, and Barbara Sherman.
The collection also includes a letter to Shackelford written by Julie Fry, a Madison College student and Shackelford's "Big Sister" in the Big Sister Little Sister program.
Items are housed in a single folder.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Items were donated on April 27, 2018, by Harriet Shackelford.
Genre and Form
- Letters (correspondence)
- Madison College -- History
- Madison College -- Alumni and alumnae
- Madison College -- Students
- Madison College -- Students -- Social life and customs
- Madison College -- Buildings
- James Madison University -- Students -- History
- Harrisonburg (Va.) -- History
|Harriet Shackelford Thomas Photographs and Ephemera, 1964-1970||box 1||folder 1|