Radical Roots Community Farm Collection, 2006-2008
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Radical Roots Community Farms
- Friendly City Food Co-op
- Radical Roots Community Farm Collection
- Collection No.:
- SC 0271
- 3 folders, .24 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Radical Roots Community Farm Collection, 2006-2008, is comprised of issues of the "Radical Roots Garden Journal" and brochures by the Radical Roots Community Farm in Keezletown, Virginia, as well as documents related to the founding of the Friendly City Food Co-op in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
[identification of item], [box#, folder #], Radical Roots Community Farm Collection, 2006-2008, SC 0271, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Radical Roots Community Farm is a five-acre farm in Keezletown, Virginia, that grows organic vegetables and educates about permaculture and sustainable agriculture. It was founded by Dave and Lee O'Neill in 2000. Radical Roots Community Farm started a farm-share CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program in 2005.
The Friendly City Food Co-op is a consumer-owned grocery store cooperative in Harrisonburg that sources produce from local vendors. It opened on June 6, 2011. Friendly City Food Co-op serves as a pick-up point for several local farms that offer CSA shares, including Radical Roots Farm.
Scope and Content
The collection contains issues of "Radical Roots Garden Journal," a single-page newsletter issued in conjunction with their CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) deliveries. The newsletter contains short articles by growers, farm updates, recipes, and a list of the content of the CSA share.
The Friendly City Food Cooperative file contains documents related to the founding of the co-op, including subscription information, membership agreement and information about its founding.
Items are arranged by type.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Items were donated by Julia Merkel on July 8, 2010.
Genre and Form
- Administrative records
- Merkel, Julia, 1966-
- Community-supported agriculture -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- Community-supported agriculture -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg
- Organic farming -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- Sustainable agriculture -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- Permaculture -- Virginia -- Keezletown
- Food cooperatives -- Virginia -- Harrisonburg
Friendly City Food Co-op. "Get to Know the Food Co-op." Friendlycity.coop https://friendlycity.coop/get-to-know-the-food-co-op/ (accessed June 6, 2018).
Radical Roots Community Farm. "About Us." Radicalrootsfarm.com. http://radicalrootsfarm.com/about-us/ (accessed June 6, 2018).
|Radical Roots Garden Journal, 2006-2008||box 1||folder 1|
|Radical Roots Brochures, 2006-2007, undated||box 1||folder 2|
|Friendly City Food Co-op Membership Agreement and Information, 2007, undated||box 1||folder 3|