Deford Company Letter, 1916
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Deford Company. Tanners of Oak Sole Leather and Belting
- Deford Company Letter
- Collection No.:
- SC 0279
- 1 folder, .06 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Deford Company Letter, 1916, is a business letter from the Deford Company (Tanners of Oak Sole Leather and Belting) to an undisclosed seller of bark requesting some product.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Deford Company Letter, 1916, SC 0279, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
The Deford Company, established in 1882, was a local tannery located in Luray, Virginia. Its primary products were leather straps and gun holsters, but the company transitioned into creating sole leather for boots and finishing belt leather in the late 1990s. The Deford Company also underwent a name change in 1999, now being called the Virginia Oak Tannery (or V.O. Leather, Inc.).
Scope and Content
The Deford Company Letter, 1916, is a business letter from the Deford Company (Tanners of Oak Sole Leather and Belting) to an undisclosed seller of tree bark. The Deford Company simply requests "the usual amount of Chestnut Oak Bark," with pricing at $10 per 2240 pounds. The company also discloses how much bark the Norfolk Western and Virginian Railway line can handle.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Donated to Special Collections by Kevin Borg, Professor of History, JMU.
Genre and Form
- Letters (correspondence)
- Tanneries -- Virginia -- Luray
- Leather industry and trade -- Virginia -- Luray
- Luray (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- Luray (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
"About Us." LoadsofLeather, n.d. , http://www.loadsofleather.com/about_us. Accessed 7 December 2018.
|Deford Company Letter, 1916||box 1||folder 1|