Love, Elsie Warren, 1924-1926 *JMU Alum Papers*
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Love, Elsie Warren, 1904-1991
- Elsie Warren Love Scrapbook
- Collection No.:
- SC 0281
- 1 box, .47 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Elsie Warren Love Scrapbook, 1924-1926, contains myriad photographs, programs, and other ephemera from when Elsie Love was a post-graduate "degree" student at the State Normal School for Women in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Elsie Warren Love Scrapbook, 1924-1926, SC 0281, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Elise Lee Warren Love was born in Danville, Virginia on March 24, 1904. She first attended Averitt College in Danville before coming to the State Normal School for Women in Harrisonburg in 1922. Love was a member of the Lanier Literary Society, Athletic Council, Degree Basketball Team, Home Economics Club, Danville Club, Athletic Association, Pinquet Tennis Club, and Y.W.C.A. She graduated in 1924. She married Harry Morgan Love, a professor of agricultural economics at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute, and resided in Blacksburg, Virginia until her death on October 9, 1991.
Scope and Content
The Elsie Warren Love Scrapbook, 1924-1926, contains myriad photographs, recital programs, and other ephemera from when Elsie was a post-graduate student at the State Normal School for Women in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The book is divided into sections, with the first section devoted to people she has met (with names, photographs, birthdays, and personal notes listed), the second section clubs/activities/events she was a part of, the third is a detailed calendar of personal life events and notes (taken day by day), and the final section is where most of her personal ephemera is pasted in. Notable materials from this section include programs and ticket stubs to a minstrel show performed by the Virginia Polytechnic Institute, candid photographs of her with her friend group as well as photographs of the State Normal School campus and the surrounding Harrisonburg area, two pages of typewritten chemistry notes, and two copies of the student newspaper The Breeze (dated May 31, 1924).
The scrapbook remains bound and is arranged according to its original order.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Donated to Special Collections by Elsie Warren Love's grandson, Bruce Hammond, via the James Madison University Alumni Association.
All loose materials that were stored in the back of the scrapbook were re-foldered according to material type.
Genre and Form
- Printed Ephemera
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students
- State Teachers College at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- James Madison University -- Students -- History
- College students -- Social life and customs
The Schoolma'am, 1924. Harrisonburg (Va.): State Normal School for Women.
|Elsie Warren Love scrapbook, 1924||box OV 1|
|Loose letters and notes, 1924||box OV 1||folder 1|
|Loose programs, 1924-1926||box OV 1||folder 2|
|Loose ephemera, undated||box OV 1||folder 3|
|Loose photographs, undated||box OV 1||folder 4|