Woodham, Sarah Edna McFadden Photographs, 1917-1919 *JMU Alum Papers*
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- Woodham, Sarah Edna McFadden, 1898-1981
- Sarah Edna McFadden Woodham Photographs
- Collection No.:
- SC 0297
- 1 folder, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- The Sarah Edna McFadden Woodham Photographs, 1917-1919, comprise 24 photographs presumably documenting Woodham's time as a student at the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg.
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], Sarah Edna Woodham McFadden Photographs, 1917-1919, SC 0297, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Sarah Edna McFadden Woodham (1898-1981) was born in Rockbridge County, Virginia and attended the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg between ca. 1917 and 1919. While the photographs comprising this collection clearly document the State Normal School campus during the first quarter of the twentieth century, the archivist is unable to find Woodham (née McFadden) in any of the yearbooks or commencement programs during the years 1915 and 1925. She married Benjamin Tillman Woodham and is buried in Jacksonville, Florida.
Scope and Content
The Sarah Edna McFadden Woodham Photographs, 1917-1919, comprise 24 photographs presumably documenting Woodham's time as a student at the State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg. The photographs largely document groups of female students around the school's campus. The exterior of campus buildings are frequently present in the photographs. Three photographs do not appear to depict the State Normal School campus. A selection of the photographs are labeled with dates, location, and names. One photograph lists the names Mildred Lake, Dora Glascock, Effie Hess, Annie Widdifield, and Eleanor Pendleton. It is unclear if Sarah Woodham is present in any of the photographs. A note from the donor suggests that the photographs were taken by Woodham.
The photographs are arranged in one folder in the order they were received.
Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (email@example.com).
Donated by Suzanne Juday, Woodham's graddaughter, in May 2019.
Genre and Form
- Juday, Suzane L.
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Alumni and alumnae
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- Students
- State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg (Harrisonburg, Va.) -- History
- James Madison University -- Students -- History
- College students -- Virginia -- History
- Universities and colleges -- Virginia -- History
"Sarah Edna McFadden Woodham." FindaGrave, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/112668995/sarah-edna-woodham. Accessed July 24, 2019.
|Photographs, 1917-1919, undated||box 1||folder 1|