Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2001
Repository: Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
Title: Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2001
Collection No.: SC 0146
Creator: Spotswood Garden Club
Extent: 5 boxes; 2.46 cubic feet
Abstract: The Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2001, are comprised of the administrative records of the club and include meeting minutes, files, and scrapbooks.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
Use Restrictions: The copyright interests in this collection have not been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collections Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Preferred Citation: [identification of item], [box #, folder #], Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2001, SC 0146, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, Va.
Acquisition Information: This collection was placed on deposit with Special Collections on September 10, 1997
by club representative Electra C. Julias.
Processing Information: In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 3090.
The Spotswood Garden Club was founded in Harrisonburg in 1924, with twenty-four charter members and Mrs. James C. Johnston as president. The goals of the club were "the culture and study of flowers, to aid in conservation of forests, native shrubs, wildflowers and birds, and to foster civic improvements." In 1929, the club was elected to membership in the Garden Club of Virginia, and has frequently participated in that organization's annual Historic Garden Week by securing the cooperation of owners of historic homes in the area to open those homes and grounds for public appreciation. Community work has been an important focus through the years. The club emphasized "Victory Gardens" during World War II and later worked for legislation to remove unsightly billboards. It has sponsored a variety of activities to enhance appreciation of native wildflowers, and has planted gardens at nursing homes, schools, hospitals, cemeteries, and throughout the city. Spotswood Garden Club has also sponsored or co-sponsored many flower shows. In 1983 the club undertook the restoration of the historic garden at Fort Harrison in Dayton, including its continuing maintenance. In 1991 the club joined Greener Harrisonburg and intensified its city beautification efforts.
Scope and Content:
The Spotswood Garden Club Records, 1924-2001, are comprised of the administrative records of the club and include meeting minutes, files, and scrapbooks. Additonal materials include annual reports and flower show programs.
This collection is arranged by item type and further arranged chronologically.
Box : Folder
|Minute Book No. 1, 1924 - 1926, 1928 - 1931||
|Minute Book No. 1A, 1926 - 1927||
|Minute Book No. 2, 1931 - 1935||
|Minute Book No. 3, 1935 - 1940||
|Minute Book No. 4, 1940 - 1946||
|Minute Book No. 5, 1947 - 1949||
|Minute Book No. 6, 1949 - 1952||
|Minute Book No. 7, 1952 - 1954||
|Minute Book No. 8, 1954 - 1957||
|Minute Book No. 9, 1957 - 1960||
|Minute Book No. 10, 1960 - 1968||
|Minute Book No. 11, 1968 - 1977||
|Minute Book No. 12, 1983 - 1990||
|Minute Book No. 13, 1990 - 1995||
|Minute Book No. 14, 1995 - 2001||
|Garden Gossip, 1929-1939||
|Annual Reports, 1926-1968||
|Flower Show Programs, 1926-1949||
Compiled by: Chris Bolgiano, September 1997; Scrapbook additions, 2001; Special Collections Staff, July 2008