Lanier Literary Society Records, 1911-1931 *JMU Records*
Repository: Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
Title: Lanier Literary Society Records, 1911-1931
Collection No.: UA 0026
Creator: Lanier Literary Society
Extent: 2 boxes; .33 cubic feet
Abstract: This collection is comprised of two record books, bound posters, and ephemera created by members of the Lanier Literary Society, from 1911-1931.
Access Restrictions: Collection open to research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
Use Restrictions: Copyright for Official University records is held by James Madison University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Preferred Citation: [identification of item], [box #, folder #], Lanier Literary Society Records, 1911-1931, UA 0026, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Acquisition Information: Items were in the cage in 1982, at the time of founding.
Alternate Formats: Select Lanier Literary Society posters have been digitized and can be found at Founding Documents in Special Collections.
Processing Information: The collection was formed from the merger of items in SU 93-0331, Students: Memorabilia and General, and Lanier Society posters in SU 93-0315, Scrapbooks 1909-1916.
The Lanier Literary Society and Lee Literary Society were established at State Normal and Industrial School for Women in 1909, during the school's first term. The Lanier Society was named for the Southern poet, Sidney Lanier, and the Lee Literary Society was named for Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Both the Lee and Lanier Society held debates, and sponsored readings, talks and musical events.
The Lanier chose violet and white as the club's representative colors, while the Lee Society chose gold and gray. In October, 1909, the school's official colors were taken from each – violet from Lanier, and gold from Lee.
In 1914, ten members from the Lee and Lanier Literary Societies joined together to form a new student organization, the Stratford Literary Society, later known as the Stratford Players. The Lanier Society and Lee Society were discontinued in 1942.
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of two record books, a volume of bound posters, and ephemera created by the Lanier Literary Society, from 1911-1931. The 1912-1931 record book contains several iterations of the society's constitution as well as quarterly membership lists. The 1920-1931 record book contains meeting minutes. The volume of bound posters contains hand-drawn posters advertising Lanier Literary Society events. The collection also includes a 1935 New York Times Book Review article about the poet, Sidney Lanier, and a 1913 hand-made program for a Lanier Society event, including the text of the Lanier Song.
Documents are arranged by material type.
Dingledine, Raymond C. Madison College, the First Fifty Years, 1908-1958. Harrisonburg,
VA: Madison College, 1959.
Lee Literary Society Records, 1909-1912, UA 0027, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA.
Box : Folder
|Record Book, 1912-1931||
|Record Book, 1920-1931||
|Lanier Literary Society Posters, 1911-1912||
Compiled by: Sarah Roth-Mullet, January 2018