West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company Logging Photographs, 1927-1931
- Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University
- West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company
- West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company Logging Photographs
- Collection No.:
- SC 0130
- 1 folder, .08 Cubic Feet
- Language of the Material:
- Contains 36 B&W photographs of loggers (including African-American and child workers) cutting trees in North Carolina, Virginia, and unspecified locations. Some photos have hand-written or stamped information on the back explaining the techniques being used and identifying them as "West Virginia Pulp and Paper Co."
[identification of item], [box #, folder #], West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company Logging Photographs, 1927-1931, SC 0130, Special Collections, Carrier Library, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA. 22807
The West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company was incorporated in 1898 by William Luke and sons. Through the twentieth century it grew into a multinational wood products corporation and changed its name to Westvaco. At the end of the twentieth century it became MeadWestvaco.
Scope and Content
Of the 36 black-and-white photographs in this collection, 25 carry identification on the back that specifies locations in North Carolina (Moravian Falls, Crutchfield, Sanford) and Virginia (Newcastle, Fort Union, Naruna, Rhoadesville, Gordonsville, Burkeville), dates the photos from 1927 to 1931, and explains the techniques of cutting, peeling, and axing out knots of poplar and pine trees for pulpwood that are demonstrated in the photos. In a few cases the comments on the back criticize poor practices, indicating that the photos may have been intended for training purposes. "West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company, Tyrone, PA" is stamped on some photos; on the return address of the envelope in which the photos were housed, however, "Tyrone" has been crossed out and "Covington, VA" written in. Nine photos show African Americans workers; two show very young workers.
The photographs are housed in one folder.
Converted to schema conforming EAD by dtd2schema.vh.xsl. 2013-11-21
Collection is open for research. Researchers must register and agree to copyright and privacy laws before using this collection. Please contact Research Services staff before visiting the James Madison University Special Collections Library to use this collection.
The copyright interests in this collection have been transferred to the James Madison University Special Collection Library. For more information, contact the Special Collections Library Reference Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Purchased from Green Valley Auctions, Inc. in March 2000.
In order to streamline the process of applying collection numbers, Special Collections staff completed a large-scale renumbering campaign in the spring of 2017. This collection was previously cataloged as SC 3037.
Genre and Form
- West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company -- History
- Westvaco (firm) -- History
- MeadWestvaco (Firm) -- History
- Logging -- Virginia
- Logging -- West Virginia
- Logging -- North Carolina
- Bark peeling -- Virginia
- Bark peeling -- West Virginia
- Bark peeling -- North Carolina
- Lumbering -- Virginia
- Lumbering -- West Virginia
- Lumbering -- North Carolina
- Forests and forestry -- Virginia -- History -- 20th century
- Forests and forestry -- West Virginia -- History -- 20th century
- Forests and forestry -- North Carolina -- History -- 20th century
- Forest products industry -- Virginia -- 20th century
- Forest products industry -- West Virginia -- 20th century
- Forest products industry -- North Carolina -- 20th century
- Agriculture and state -- Virginia -- History -- 20th century
- Agriculture and state -- West Virginia -- History -- 20th century
- Agriculture and state -- North Carolina -- History -- 20th century
|West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company Logging Photographs, 1927-1937||box 1||folder 1|