Revised February 2016
Thank you for your interest in donating to JMU Libraries and Educational Technologies (LET). As a means of enriching the library collections, the James Madison University Libraries accepts a limited number of gifts that add to value and depth to the libraries’ collections and support the instructional and research programs of JMU. Gifts of money, books and other research materials can be used to develop the libraries’ collections. However, acceptance of donations is limited due to the high cost of sorting, reviewing, processing and cataloging donated material. For larger monetary gifts or “gifts in kind” of significant monetary value, contact the JMU Development Office, 800-296-6162. For questions concerning gifts of books and research materials, please contact the Resource Access team within LET.
Those interested in donating books may place these materials in the Better World Book collection box in the lobbies of Carrier and Rose. Due to the expense and resources required to ingest materials into the libraries’ collections, gifts of 10 or more items from a single donor will require a spreadsheet submission prior to the libraries accepting these materials for consideration. Please use the libraries’ spreadsheet linked below to list those titles and contact the Resource Access team to arrange a delivery appointment.
JMU Libraries will provide a written acknowledgment of gifts totaling more than 50 books, by request. Donors interested in an appraisal of gift items are advised that this is the responsibility of the donor, and that appraisals should be made before gifts are transferred to JMU LET to establish their fair market value. The library does not provide estimates of cost or value for gifts. The IRS has published guidelines on “Determining the Value of Donated Property.”
Gifts will be evaluated for appropriateness for JMU LET’S collections based on the libraries’ Collection Development Policy. The library retains the right to determine their retention, use, and location. In those cases where a donation is not suitable for the collections, the item(s) are given to Better World Books. Donations are not returnable to the donor in most instances.
Here are some further considerations for donating books and other materials:
- Physical Condition: To safeguard existing library collections, library personnel will evaluate gifts for their physical condition.
- Duplication: JMU LET, in most circumstances, will acquire only one copy of a title, the majority of duplications will not be accepted, or will be deaccessioned upon receipt. Non-circulating titles will be added to the collection in the location where they best serve the needs of the JMU community.
- Magazines and journals: LET does not generally accept gifts of magazines, journals or other periodicals (except journals of historical value which may be accepted by the Head of Special Collections). Please direct questions regarding this policy to the Resource Access team.
- Textbooks: LET will not accept donations of textbooks. Better World Books is an excellent option if you have textbooks you would like to donate.
- Large donations: Please contact the Resource Access team to discuss pre-arrangements for large gifts.
- Shipping / Transporting items: As a donor, you are responsible for the shipping or transporting of gifts.
- Special Collections: LET’s Special Collections acquires materials that document the Central Shenandoah Valley, the history of James Madison University, as well as other unique materials that support the curriculum of the University. For more information about donating rare/valuable material, please contact the Head of Special Collections.
- Alternate places to donate: For more popular titles, ex-library copies, textbooks, or trade paperbacks Better World Books is an excellent option (email@example.com). They will pay for shipping and handling and all donations support global literacy initiatives. Other excellent donation options are the Massanutten Regional Library, 540-434-4475, and BRCC Houff Library, 540-453-2247.
Download the JMU Libraries Donation Form (MS Word)
Download the JMU Libraries Donation Spreadsheet (MS Excel)
Thank you for your interest in JMU Libraries.
Source(s) of Authority: Director, Scholarly Resources & Discovery