Try Open Textbooks (And Apply by Oct. 6 for $200 Stipend)
Posted on: September 28, 2023
Instructors: it’s textbook adoption time! The deadline to nail down your Spring 2024 textbook choices with the bookstore is October 15. Want to try open textbooks? They offer a more affordable alternative for students without compromising on quality.
How to get the $200 stipend?
Apply online by October 6 to join our self-paced workshop called Get Started Using Open Textbooks. After you complete the workshop, you will be eligible to write a review of an open textbook and receive a $200 stipend.
How to find open textbooks for my course?
- Faculty Textbook Portal: Find shared library collections, open textbooks, and ebooks (some to purchase through VIVA) for course use.
- Find Open Textbooks: Full-length textbooks that you may freely use, distribute, and even edit for your course.
- If you do not intend to use a textbook for your course(s) next semester, please notify the Bookstore so they can list that information in MyMadison.
- If the total cost of textbooks for your course is $40 or less at the JMU Bookstore, alert the staff in your department, so they can add this information to Course Scheduler. Students can now filter their class search in MyMadison for courses with “No/Low Cost Course Materials.”
- Need help? Contact Liz Thompson, our Open Education Librarian.
Categorised in: JMU Libraries News, Open Education