Black and White on Bluestone Hill: JMU’s Racial History in the Archives
Posted on: February 2, 2018
Check out Special Collections’ new exhibit, “Black and White on Bluestone Hill: JMU’s Racial History in the Archives.” From our institution’s founding as the State Normal and Industrial School for (white) Women in 1908, to its integration in 1966, and to its official designation as James Madison University in 1977, “Blue Stone Hill” has and continues to be a staging ground for the challenges of diversity and inclusion. The exhibit, located on the second floor of Carrier Library,outside of the Special Collections Reading Room, (room 203) gathers together archival materials from JMU Special Collections that confront the painful racism of JMU’s past, as well as the efforts of black and white students, faculty, and administrators to make JMU a more inclusive place.
The exhibit will remain open through August 2018.
Categorised in: Exhibits